Oil pressure light in late model cars?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
GM, it was indeed fun, it went out on a sweeping curve and if that guard rail had not been there, you would be posting condolences!

All it ended up costing me was a lower awing arm but my wife sure didn't let me forget it! She still gives me the evil eye when I start laughing about it!

:lol:

Always good to laugh after the fact. Because if you really think too hard about it, it would scare you. Glad you all are okay though. :thumb:

dwco5051

Commander
I have never run into an American car that has an auto shutoff feature. We have customized our off road trucks to shut off with low oil pressure.
I remember back in the mid 60's a friend had a Cat diesel in his truck and the throttle was locked at idle until the oil pressure built. My Cummins had no such thing and I thought then it was sort of a neat idea to protect the engine on a cold morning from some idiot who may start it up with the pedal floored.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I remember back in the mid 60's a friend had a Cat diesel in his truck and the throttle was locked at idle until the oil pressure built. My Cummins had no such thing and I thought then it was sort of a neat idea to protect the engine on a cold morning from some idiot who may start it up with the pedal floored.

One of my snowmobiles won't let me move it until the oil heats to a certain temp. I've tried.... Nope. It will shut down if the engine gets too warm..... Keeps from having engine damage.... Happened twice. So I know that feature works.... Low snow or letting it idle too long triggers it...

Last edited: