Best point and shoot optics.....

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
...for an AR15? Any opinions?

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I am running 4x by 12x scopes on all of my AR's they work quite good.

For quick shooting, I just use pop up iron sites.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I am running 4x by 12x scopes on all of my AR's they work quite good.

For quick shooting, I just use pop up iron sites.

My rear sight has two aperature choices. Even the smallest one covers a lot of territory. Even at that, it is often hard to tell whether you are looking at the center post (on the front sight) or one of the side guards. I used a white paint pen on the center post. That helps somewhat, but depending on the light, not always. It almost seems like an open top Vee sight would be quicker to use. That is why I thought that there might be a low power optic that would be quick to use while giving you a good field of vision thru it.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
On one of my AR's I use a red dot holographic sight, and on another one I use a very nice 3 x 9 x 40mm Burris scope on picatinny rails and mounts. Those two are flat top setups. Others are open setup.

thumpar

Admiral
I have an EOtech 554 on my AR. I love the reticle. It makes it easy for rapid fire because you still have the ring when you lose the dot.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

thumpar

Admiral

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Boy those EO have gotten expensive, that one at the link on ebay is not much less than I spent on the first rifle and is more than what I have spent to build my own rifles!

thumpar

Admiral
There is a lot of talk on the net about counterfeit EO's.
Yea. Mine is legit though. The easiest way to tell is that the night vision button on the fakes makes the reticle turn green or red. The retical on the fakes is also solid whereas the real ones are kind of jaggedy if you look right at it because of the laser. The fakes use a diode. They would not try to make a fake 554 anyway because they were only military and not common. The most common fake is the 512.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Yea. Mine is legit though. The easiest way to tell is that the night vision button on the fakes makes the reticle turn green or red. The retical on the fakes is also solid whereas the real ones are kind of jaggedy if you look right at it because of the laser. The fakes use a diode. They would not try to make a fake 554 anyway because they were only military and not common. The most common fake is the 512.

If I never use another night vision device for the rest of my days, I will be a very happy man!

:D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Well if you run across another one for $200 or less, LMK. Maybe you got yours before they got popular?

thumpar

Admiral
Mine was military surplus so they just wanted to get rid of it. If I found another I would jump on it.