So, what did you do today?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
82, I believe RAW is like a negative. After you take the pic you use photo editing software to tweak the pic however you like, it's a pic in it's rawest form. I'm sure 'kogs can explain it better...

I have RAW and what I believe is RAW + Jpeg.... It's in the menu under Image Quality on my camera...

82rude

Rear Admiral
I should actually read my Kodak pocket guide to digital 35mm photography.Can be had at amazon and is an excellent guide that can be carried around with little effort.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I took a pic in RAW, but can't upload it. It's a .CR2 Doesn't looking any different than the subject. Where's 'kogs when u need him...:noidea::eyebrows:

southkogs

Staff member
southkogs what does raw do exactly?
It's a format. Think of it as the digital version of a negative. Most people get their digital images in a JPEG format (and there's nothing really wrong with the JPEG format), but RAW is unprocessed - so kind of unusable until it's compressed into a JPEG.

The RAW format has a higher dynamic range and a wider color gamut, so there's more information to work with. When your camera records an image, depending on the sensitivity of your photo sensor you'll have a BUNCH of image data. But a JPEG can only represent so much of it - and it's compressed into a single image. The RAW format retains all of the image data and keeps it on hand ... even if it's not displayed.

So, in the instance of Musky's hockey photo - the photo sensor actually captured the detail of the ice, even though the exposure might have been a little long (in order to correctly expose the player). While still in a RAW format, you can adjust all of the brightness, contrast, and color of the ice without really affecting the player very much. Basically like working with the enlarger's exposure and aperture settings when you were printing in the darkroom.

southkogs

Staff member
WIMUSKY you'll need a viewer to see the RAW file - Adobe has a trial version, or there are some free ones out there. CR2 is Cannon's version of RAW. Instead of JPEG base they are TIFF base (which is actually kinda' nice - big files, but lotsa' information). Some cameras have the ability to make adjustments on board, but those screens can be tough to see what you need in them.

RAW formats will start out showing you the image "as shot," or basically what the JPEG would have looked like. In order to see what else is in there, you have to fiddle with it a little bit.

It's kinda like slightly over or under exposing a negative - sometimes if you doge or burn part of the print you find out you have more in the image than you thought you did.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Took the tarp off the boat today then used a plastic chair to climb into the ss160.Yup you guessed it !Ended up on my back on the ground with scraped left arm ,ruined watch,and scraped left shin and just to add insult to injury a sore back even worse than what it was lately.Worse part is 4 feet to the right is the fender and in,lol.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Well today i got a call from the hospital to go in for a M.R.I. ! The last few years the lower back feels like it clicks out of position and the pain is crippling.Scheduled time for the m.r.i. is, get this, 10 at night.Funny, today after falling out of the boat yesterday my back feels way better,lol.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Just when i think all is well it will do it again.On that same note my friend has had crippling back pain for years and he was at his cousins and got tripped up by his dog and landed heavily on his back.HE,S now virtually pain free and the dog is spoiled rotten now,lol! Stranger things have happened.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Kinda like my parents cook top stove. It was old and had an actual clock with a second hand. Had a storm with a close lightning strike. Knocked out the clock. A few years later had another storm and another close strike, you guessed it, started the clock again........

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Speaking of bad backs, Over 50 years ago while working on a green chain in the local sawmill I twisted my lower back and got that terrible pain. Worked the night shift so when I got home I went right to bed. The next day when I got back up I fell out of bed in terrible pain again. Fiddled around all day and felt mostly numb so I figured that I'd try going back to work that afternoon.

When I grabbed the first board I knew that I couldn't do the heavy work that I'd been doing so I asked the co-workers to take the lead and I'd grab what was left. While stumbling around in pain I slipped and fell over a pile of lumber backwards. That popped it back in and all went numb. I took it easy for the rest of the shift and watched myself after that to avoid re injury. Haven't had a loser back problem since. I can still remember that pain however..

82rude

Rear Admiral
I went to my sister in laws place of employment and asked the girl at the register to page her she had a delivery from me at the front.Well when she got up there i yelled out happy birthday and gave her a bag of goodies!

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
So, what did I do today...

Mama said there would be days like this....I was hoping she was a LIAR!

Really, if it was not for Mercury engines I would not have much work to do, but I hate them so very much! I only post repair tips in the J/E section because I like them, they have their faults but at least they are repairable. Mercury, on the other hand, they were junk the day they were built and they are still junk two days after being put in service. End Rant.

But really, if someone had a brain at mercury the part # would not change by the hour...

82rude

Rear Admiral
Watched 2 young guys,one a pro tree cutting guy and a trainer and teacher for the ministry of labor and his helper take down my manitoba maple(aka box elder).Im exhausted just from watching:D.All the small and rotten stuff is gone and i have a not bad pile of wood to use in the garage wood stove in a year or 2.A 60 foot or so tree sure has a heck of a lot of branches on it ,at least mine did.Tons of branches!Will post pics later after i have a bad back rest from the work around the house i did,lol

82rude

Rear Admiral
Well ive been waiting for a bunch of small black birds to vacate my garage eves.Hate to tear the thing apart and kill the younguns but last night i was looking out my window and two plump young black squirrels went into the eves.One went in the end ,one in the bird hole.I guess i dont have to worry about birds anymore.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Doing one of my favorite things, insulating walls in my shop so I can work out there this next winter!

82rude

Rear Admiral
I worked for a lumber company one summer delivering drywall and insulation .Tons upon tons of the stuff,to this day i hate the sight of either.Especially ins.

Maclin

Admiral
We got an HOA do-better notice and had to redo the gate a couple of weeks ago. Landlord paid time&materials, got about $15 per hour so won't quit my day job just yet... :)

20170519_104555.jpg

20170519_094907.jpg

82rude

Rear Admiral
Went to a nice small car show and took pictures but sorry i used a minolta srt 201 35 mm film camera.Tonight im going to bbq a steak for the first time in 6 years!I got the bbq at zellars 7 years ago for supercheap and its sat outside summer and winter for all that time uncovered and its still like new .Best 160 bucks ive ever spent!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Hauled 2 loads of brush to the dump, went shopping for tools, sat back and had a relaxing beer.