Advice with cleaning a Honda Elite 80 Scooter Carb.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Scott, isn't it amazing to see all the variations of carbs that for the most part all do that exact same thing. Seem everybody has to design their "perfect" carb for their engine and it all boils down to air and fuel mixture still.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
agreed

here is the express
2008-08-08_114747_honda50carb.jpg

and if you want performance, the mikuni
photo_mikuni_VM24_512_exploded_view.jpg

however, you are right, a throttle plate, and some sort of method to atomize fuel into a fine mist.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
thanks all. Let me ask a crazy question. Do all the side panels need to be back on to start? I wasn't going to install them until it was running- running out of ideas here.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
side panels wont be needed. they are simply vanity covers to cover the motor, battery, tanks, etc. you will need good battery connections and a fully charged battery.

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
The carb pictured previously for the Elite 80 is a Constant Velocity carb. It has a large diaphragm that responds to manifold vacuum to raise & lower a metering needle in the main jet. It also automatically compensates for changes in air pressure (altitude).
If you REALLY like to tinker you can swap different carbs on there. Round slide and flat slide carbs (Mikuni, Keihin, and others)can be simpler and do away with the bystarter valve (choke). All in all that stock carb is very reliable and a decent performer, except for its problems with plugging up.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
thank you all. I have the stock carb and have pulled it (three times now) and the last time, used a rebuild kit for all the jets, seals, etc. The weird thin is it starts with a spray of starting fluid in the carb, but then dies. The gas line from the tank provides fuel, albeit it at a drip versus a constant flow. Could it be a vacuum issue? It feels like it is not getting fuel. I cleaned the tank and replaced the gas petcock thing that mounts to the underside of the tank.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
FYI- I have spark. Funny thing is when I first try to start it cold, it pops, then just tries to crank over; so it is getting spark... Just doesn't get running...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It's been a long time since I messed with one of these, but the vacuum controlled petcock only dripping doesn't seem like you are getting a good fuel supply to the carb. Could the vacuum hose to the petcock be cracked? What happens if the fuel line is disconnected and you suck on the vacuum hose to the petcock? Does the drip turn into a stream?

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks.

So I just messed around with it some more. The plug is bone dry. When I suck on the vacuum tube gas comes pouring out. Guess it's a carb issue? I didn't rebuild it properly? Weird thing is it won't start with a spray of starting fluid in the intake. It does start with a squirt of gas into the spark plug hole but only for a minute. Any advice ?

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Let me take a stab at this?? OK the vacuum line from the motor goes to the carb and activates the diaphragm which pulls the fuel into the carbs float bowl. If you have fuel in the diaphragm you have a hole in it-get a new diaphragm or if you have ensure it is well sealed.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks. The diaphragm is new. The tube from the diaphragm (which is installed below the fuel tank) and connects to the manifold (between the motor and the carb) is also new. Do you think I'm not getting fuel?