Hour meter for small engines

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I bought a go kart buggy for my daughter's upcoming birthday, and have just finished assembling it in secret in my garage... While she was out of the house today, my wife and I took it for a little test spin

image_zpsf4hukbp5.jpeg

I'd like to add an hour meter to it. I see two main options; the self powered ones that involve wrapping a wire around the spark plug wire, for example:
www.ebay.com/itm/291515356246?_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

And the traditional style which is wired to the ignition key. Since the key will never be on when it's not running (there are no accessories to power except the headlights), I'm not worried about the meter running up hours while the key is on while listening to the stereo, for example, like you might in a boat.

Which style would you use? Also, when you have to replace the internal lithium battery in the first style, does it remember the hour count? The cost of both is basically the same, cheap.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I believe the one that wraps around the sparkplug also can do rpm,s.What kind of motor does it have.My buddy put a Yamaha 350cc 2 stroke in one years ago ,boy that was wicked.Very pretty go cart model there .

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It's a Chinese something or other; 6.5hp, 168cc, single cylinder, air cooled.

image_zpsjiglkkvq.jpeg

image_zpsyzetnffv.jpeg

I'm not real interested in having a tachometer feature, just if the spark plug wire-wrap ones are reasonable accurate in their hour counts and whether they retain the hours when the battery is replaced. If so, they seem the easiest way to go.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I think mine says the battery never has to be replaced - not sure how that can be. It probably completely dies before the battery goes dead

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade