weedeater weedwacker.

82rude

Rear Admiral
So my old weedeater xt 300 has finally decided to act up.Ive cleaned the filter which was new looking(fuel).Adjusted the carb ,cleaned with carb cleaner.It will only run with mid choke .So do I rebuild the carb,buy a new carb,or buy a new weed wacker?Its given me about 15 years of faithful service with not even a plug change in that time.Put a new plug in it this year just because.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Just take the carb apart and look at it, there's not much to it, clean it and put it back together and see if it works. Unless I damaged any of the gaskets or parts I wouldn't even get a rebuild kit. If it runs OK then get a rebuild kit if it needs one. Next would be to buy a new weedeater , it's not really worth putting any money into an old one

82rude

Rear Admiral
I will take it apart tomorrow a see whats what.In this particular case I believe your right and new may be more practical vs putting too much money into it.Now if we were talking about my 1995 gold series 2 stroke lawnboy mower that I would be willing to invest in as you cant replace that boy easily with todays junk mowers.Since 1995 its cost 12 bucks in parts(primer this year).

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Look at the fuel lines. Many of the small engines use what looks like some kind of neoprene tubing that become brittle from the heat cycles and develop small cracks. I've fixed a couple with new fuel lines. The mid-choke is kinda saying it's running lean, which could be caused by the fuel lines. Or it's time for a new trimmer.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
My Weedeater is from the mid 80's or so, it may go several years between uses, so if it doesn't run well I pull the carb off, clean it out quickly and put it back on, I've never used a rebuild kit or replaced a single gasket.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Amazingly enough the line is good and supple.It was full choke until I sprayed it with cleaner so maybe varnish or dirt inside?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I miss my early 90's 2-stroke trimmer. currently have a 2010 4-stroke toro piece of carp excrement that is on its 3rd primer bulb and the motor burns more oil than gas because there is no quality.

i would pull it apart like ondarvr indicated. the carb has like 4 pieces to it.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
82, Check the muffler to see if the spark arrester screen is clogged up. Its a common issue that sends more weed eaters the scrap pile then actually wearing out.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
82, Check the muffler to see if the spark arrester screen is clogged up. Its a common issue that sends more weed eaters the scrap pile then actually wearing out.

Absolutely on the spark arrestor. I do not live in a fire hazard area so the first thing I do on all my implements is to pull the arrester screen. 50:1 gas will clog them up pretty quick.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yep, if the screen is all oily take a propane torch to it and burn it until it turns white/ash. Then I blow it out with and air hose. Runs like new!

Volphin

Lieutenant
I bought a Stihl KM130R in Spring of 2015. I use several attachments with it: tree trimmer, weed eater, blower and edger. Best darn tool I ever bought!

82rude

Rear Admiral
Bought the fs 38 .Our Stihl dealer is also the Husqvarna dealer so I watched the auto mower in action and bowed down to the idea of a self mowing mower.When I die and come back rich I want one big time!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I like the quick start, or whatever they call it. The string is tough to get out it seemed until you run out and restring it..... I looked at the 38, but it seemed too short. I'm only 5' 11". It's the same length as the 46 I had, which they don't make anymore...

82rude

Rear Admiral
Yes I does start easy.Not only were they on sale but for the cost of a six pack of those little stihl oil bottles which you need anyways I got another year warranty tacked on.That mini six pack will most likely last me 6 years.As for the line spooler I have an aftermarket one on my old weedeater which is a far superior system and will most likely end up on the new one when its time for line replacement.

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
Also the dealer prepped the trimmer and filled it up and gave me a tour of the machine and its starting procedure and features.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yep, same here with what you said.... I bought the six pack too...... It'll probably last a summer(the oil)........

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have a Swisher Shindaiwa 4 stroke. Many commercial guys in my area use these.