%&%# EPA fuel tank

bigdee

Commander
Filled up new 6 gallon portable gas tank for pontoon. When I came back 5 hours later the tank looked like a basketball and all of 5 gallons of gas were in the lake! Good job EPA.....instead of venting a small amount of vapor I dumped >5gallons into lake.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Been there done that ... Mine blew up so big it had the cap wedged under the splashwell where I could not loosen it to release pressure ..
Sometimes the wheel just don't need re inventing ... :lol:

fhhuber

Lieutenant
What happens is... with the spout inverted into the can, when the thing gets hot the spout becomes a fuel pickup deep inside. The valve in the spout is not designed to prevent flow backward through the spout. The cap being JUST tight enough... it will empty out most of the can despite the black plug that is supposed to prevent it...

I always leave the spout in the ready to pour position.
I also cut off the ratchet device so I can get the cap off to fill the can. That thing is just stupid.

bigdee

Commander
Did it split?

No. It pressurized the tank enough to force all the fuel out through the hose and into engine. It also leaked some at the push-on quick connect fittings. I will leave the cap loose from now on.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The EPA may have good intentions, however I don't think a single one of them actually boats or uses a small engine

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
The 6 gal tanks for my toon have vent screws in the filler caps to unscrew after the tank is set in place.
Mike

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The 6 gal tanks for my toon have vent screws in the filler caps to unscrew after the tank is set in place.
Mike

EPA tanks have no vent screw. You have the old and coveted style. :smile:

rogerwa

Commander
I've never spilled more gas than when i got those newer cans. Portable cans that is.. Almost impossible not to spill.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Even those new style nozzles that you have to push the lever to get to open drain everywhere. With the old style I wouldn't drip any and these new ones just spill out all over at the "safety" nozzle handle. They take forever to fill anything up too.