Windows 10 downgrade to Windows 7?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Sister in Law unknowingly succumbed to Microsoft's attempts to get her to download Win 10 on her Win 7 Toshiba Laptop. IMHO, it is a POS. The sound didn't work, the keyboard sensitivity was poor and it it is slow and sluggish. So many of the changes that I witnessed were without a doubt, changes for change sake. Prior to the update, her laptop worked just fine.

Do you think you can just do a full restore and get back to Win 7? I would think the the original OS would be available in a partition of the hard drive.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Yeah it can be done. Google "go back to win7 from win 10" and you will get a lot of hits.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Now that you have upgraded and now ' licensed' for Windows 10, try a full new install of windows 10. That clears up a lot of sluggishness as only the latest is installed, vs a combination of win7 and 10. I think you will like it after that. I know I did, although I sell prefer Linux.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Now that you have upgraded and now ' licensed' for Windows 10, try a full new install of windows 10. That clears up a lot of sluggishness as only the latest is installed, vs a combination of win7 and 10. I think you will like it after that. I know I did, although I sell prefer Linux.

How do you do that?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
After years of being a MS basher (probably not fairly) I got caught by an unwanted download of Win 10. Was intending to go back to 7, but used the 10 for a week, knowing that I'd probably need to sit down for a 1/2 day to get it done and didn't have an immediate time slot to do that.
A couple of things were not right....e.g. nothing I could do would get the system to recognise the CD drive.

I called Microsoft support.....got a call back within the promised window.
They remotely fixed the problems and I'm still on Win 10....works fine, and there are actually a few things that I really like.

All that to say, try their support system.....it works.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Lots of good info on either a clean Win 10 install or a Win 7 rollback. Thanks all!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Maybe your SIL doesn't have enough resources to accommodate WIN10? It comes on all new computers, at least HP. We have it. No real issues. Heck, I was fine with 8.1 on my other LT.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Maybe your SIL doesn't have enough resources to accommodate WIN10? It comes on all new computers, at least HP. We have it. No real issues. Heck, I was fine with 8.1 on my other LT.
I know m.s would not allow me to download win 10 to my hp comp.Something to do with the graphics not being supported.My just bought dell latitude (refurbished) took it with no issues.Apparently I accidently bought a fairly robust laptop and am perfectly happy with it and it is good for what I do.

thumpar

Admiral
My LT took the upgrade the day it was available (manual install). One of my desktops is a fresh install. I like it so much better than 8. 7 Was good and I tell my customers to keep it if they like it. There have only been a couple installs of 10 that didn't go right. I reverted them back and all was fine. MS has really started to put 10 and I have customers complaining about the message. If you don't want the upgrade google "Never10". It is a program that will shut off the upgrade and even delete the Windows 10 install files from the drive if you want.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Interesting to know, thumpar. In my SIL's case, We waited too long to do the Win 7 restore. More that thirty days had past and that option was no longer available in 'settings'. She'll have to live with it now or chance a fresh install.

oldjeep

Admiral
There can be a few driver issues that need to be sorted out, but typically Win10 runs faster than both 7 and 8 on the same hardware. Typically what I do after a Win 10 upgrade is to go to the MFG website, download and install the latest drivers - if you have a dell this is super easy, if you have a Lenovo - I'm sorry you bought a Lenovo ;)

thumpar

Admiral
For those that may want windows 10 you are on limited time for the free upgrade. After July 29th you will have to pay for it.