Leaked Duracell batteries

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Does anybody have any idea of what will best clean up the white residue leaked from Duracell batteries in my plastic battery case of my head light,..??

It ain't as bad as some of my ruined maglight flash lights, but I wanta clean out the case, before puttin' fresh batteries in it,....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Try some vinegar, Bondo. Hold it in a sink or take it outside in case it foams up.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
If it is in plastic, I usually flush it with warm water and scrub it off with a toothbrush.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Baking soda works well, Sometimes I've had to remove the little springs and carefully wire brush them. Then use dielectric grease to keep them clean. ​Years ago if a flashlight had leaky batteries, you could send it in to eveready, and they would replace the light. Don't know if they still do that, but as kids we got a couple new lights that way.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Little bit of baking soda, warm water and a tooth brush, will clean it up, then a thin coat of dielectric

NYBo

Admiral
Since these are alkaline batteries, I would think a mild acid such as vinegar would be the way to go. The opposite of a car battery or standard acid battery, where you would use a mild alkaline solution, like baking soda.

Bondo

Staff member
Since these are alkaline batteries,

Ayuh,.... That's what I was thinkin', but don't know,.....

Maybe tonight I'll start off with vinegar, then bakin' soda, then clean warm water,.....

Volphin

Lieutenant
Ayuh,..... Does anybody have any idea of what will best clean up the white residue leaked from Duracell batteries in my plastic battery case of my head light,..??

It ain't as bad as some of my ruined maglight flash lights, but I wanta clean out the case, before puttin' fresh batteries in it,....

There's a high percentage of fake Duracell batteries on the market and the fakes look pretty real. The problem is, they leak like crazy. Here's how you can tell the difference:

https://thecounterfeitreport.com/pro...Batteries.html

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... To update, 'n close out this discussion,..... I went with KISS,.....

Not knowin' what leaks outa these batteries, but knowin' it ain't sulfuric acid,...

I decided to go with the most universal, common, dissolves 'bout everything solvent I could think of,...... Water,....

I used an ole toothbrush under a runnin' faucet, 'n brushed the 'ell outa this little plastic/ rubber battery box on my headlight,.....
Didn't take much at all,.... Flushed the white crud down the drain,.....

It's dryin' right now,... I'll throw a new set of AAAs into it,...
Darn handy, use it all the time,... nice to be able to See, 'n use both hands,....
Best Christmas present Deb, or anybody has ever bought me,..... ;)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
That'll work quite well in plastic, Bondo. It's the aluminum or ferrous metal that need special attention after getting a bath of battery juice.

Bondo

Staff member
It's the aluminum or ferrous metal that need special attention after getting a bath of battery juice.

Ayuh,.... When I went to use the light yesterday, I had to scrape off the little metal parts to get it to work,....

So far, so good,....

I'll probably just start lookin' for a replacement unit,....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Some times you can remove the rivet holding the entire assembly in the battery section. Then you can either find replacement material or make such parts and install everything back again. It sound a lot more involved then it actually is. But replacement lights are a good way to go as well. But apply some light oil or some other corrosion proof grease and happy going again. JMHO!