Hot Spot.....

thumpar

Admiral
I don't think a repeater is going to do much for you. if you want a stronger signal just get an add on card or make one. I have added external antennas to cards to boost the signal. Back before Wpa was popular I could hack into a wep network in seconds with that setup.

jbcurt00

Staff member
The library was virtually line of sight w few, if any obstructions, esp electrical/power?

As a public institution, library is likely not running newest and greatest wireless model.... which probably doesnt have much range.

Locally, some stores w free wifi barely work unless I walk thru the door. Others, I get a decent signal at the far end of the parking lot.

Good luck finding a good work around, cheaply.

thumpar

Admiral
The range will depend a lot on what the construction type is of the building. I did work for a place that was in a large old school. About every 35' there was a concrete block bulkhead. I had to put a wifi router in each to make the signal go all the way through the building.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yeah, people would park outside the library and sit in their cars or the picnic table to access their wi-fi. The people we talked to about this had a clear shot to the building which was at least a few hundred years away. And a clear shot.... They had a lesser antenna than the one we may be looking at.....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
You must watch a lot vids online. We have never gone over 8 gigs in a month

WIMUSKY

Staff member
We don't. Just normal internet surfing.... For me, mainly forums...... And e-mail..... FB...... No vids.....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah us too. Even work i rarely top 10 gigs and i do a lot of data downloads

WIMUSKY

Staff member
As we used the daughters cell as a hotspot, she was on the net at the same time too. Works well, just was burning thru data...

thumpar

Admiral
I am on a 4 gb plan with 2 phones. We did go over 2 gb but it is not common. I do FB, forums, news sites and general web surfing all day long. You might want to track what your data is going to. The only time I have seen that much data is with Netflix or very heavy downloads.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
We thought we were using way too much data. We have to go to the "big city" today and will "just talk" to Best Buy and see what they have to say too......

jbcurt00

Staff member
There are plenty of data drains w lots of apps on smartphones. Esp if you have multiple email accounts and forums sending notifications.

Simple updates to many apps burns thru hundreds of MBs. Just yesterday I had a 350MB+ update to just 1 app......

Good luck w BB help. I've encountered both ends of the spectrum.... The last time, guy really new Androids and all the available carrier's info, in great detail. Very, very helpful. Previous time, not so much.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah the heathen suckered me into my passcode and in less than one day on netflix he used almost two gigs....

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Never made it to BB. Ran out of time.

Thanks for the link, mjf55..................