Hot Spot.....

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I use a Verizon Jet Pack hot spot and just added it to my phone plan. I think it is $40 per month. The speed is pretty good. It rivals some free wifi areas. I started with 10Gigs/mo and haven't gone near that limit. The Jet Pack tells you what you have used within your bill cycle when you start it up. That's pretty darn handy!

Thanks, sounds like the wife is all over the Jet Pack. She's heard it's really good... We may just buy the unit for a couple hundred and only use it when we need it rather than get involved in a contract, which would be 2 years....

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Looks like battery life. So what does it cost per GB for this? Still think it might be cheaper to use a smartphone as a hotspot but you would have to ask Verizon.

thumpar

Admiral
You could just up the data on a phone and use it. That way you don't have to pay for having another device on you account. Verizon allows me to use my iPhone as a hot spot with no extra fee. It just uses the phones data allotment.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Looks like battery life. So what does it cost per GB for this? Still think it might be cheaper to use a smartphone as a hotspot but you would have to ask Verizon.

Access fee*
Data**
Good for

$15
500 MB
One week

$20
GB
30 days

$35
GB
60 Days

$60
GB
60 Days

$100
10 GB
60 Days

She would have to upgrade her phone to use it as a hotspot......

thumpar

Admiral
There is no access fee on my phone other than the normal one. I can use the data on the phone or share it via the hot spot.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
There is no access fee on my phone other than the normal one. I can use the data on the phone or share it via the hot spot.

Ya, she needs to contact Verizon to get the skinny on all this......

Time to join the 21st century!

Don't forget, you're talking to the guy who still is using a flip phone..... Which stays in my truck...... Haha

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Since it's pouring outside, I decided to check the hotspot connection using the daughters cell. We have great service here and it's working fine

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Just saw my current truck can be used as a WIFI hotspot....... Huh......

My previous post about "pouring outside" was an understatement. Ended up with at least 10". Hour after hour of pouring rain....

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Haven't looked into it yet. May not be cost effective. But, I thought it was interesting none the less........

thumpar

Admiral
Some new cars come with free introductory service but I would check into it before you get a crazy bill.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
It's on my app screen and I can get into it to sign up. Haven't looked at the details yet. Bet it will be pricey...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Hey fellas. Still figuring out wi-fi access for our RV. I think a hot spot is going to get very spendy in the long haul. We were spending $10/gig which didn't seem to last very long. We've started looking at wi-fi antennas. Has anyone had any experience with antennas? Recommendation?

We ran into a couple that uses a c.crane. So we started looking at those and came up with this:
http://www.ccrane.com/Xtreme-15-WiFi-Repeater-System

Is there a better brand with better reception?

Thanks....
Musky

jbcurt00

Staff member
Doesnt that antenna system require access to an unsecured/unencripted WiFi signal, even if its upto 3mi away, and is at least somewhat directional?

I'd view it as more of a booster (hence its got Repeater in its name/description), ie: you've already got a signal, its just too weak to be dependable for the Admirals needs. Rather then an actual connection 'plan'.....

But I really dont know anything about it other then the link you posted.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Did you ever look into getting a smart phone and using it as a Hotspot?

WiFi repeater doesn't do you much good unless you are close to public WiFi.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
We used my daughters smart phone as a hot spot. As mentioned, it was $10 per gig. 1 gig didn't last long..... If we used it on a regular basis it would cost a fortune.

We were close to a library with wi-fi, maybe 100yds away tops and couldn't access it...... I figure if we're on the Gulf we should be close enough to a public Wi-fi where a good booster should bring in the signal..... At least that's what I'm thinking...

Need to make sure I get my Fantasy team set up properly and Pick 'Em pics. You know, the important stuff....