Hot Spot.....

WIMUSKY

Staff member
We would like to do some traveling w/o the wife burning up a bunch of vacation time in the process. She telecommutes, so she can work anywhere we decide to go as long as she gets a good wi-fi signal. What is the best unit out there to to make sure she has a good connection? I've heard of Hot Spot, but is there anything better?

Thanks.....

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Most puters have a good wireless card in them, but it is the area/campground you are in that determines the amount of signal/speed you have to use. Remember you are sharing the Wi-FI hot spot with everyone else and antenna placement may not be optimized for your location
You might want to get a heavy use data plan for your cell for when the WI-FI sucks.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Any road warrior knows McDonald's or Starbucks is the place. Pull up in the parking lot and WI-FI away

I have Verizon Pantech air card. Pretty much only use it to access the office servers when meeting with customer with no WIFI access for quests. Otherwise is off to get a Latte or Big Mac

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
RBH - We want to get away from using the camp grounds wi-fi. I guess I just assumed Hot Spot uses satellite? I know nothing about this stuff.....

dingbat - Verizon Pantech, does that access satellites? We need very good access while the trailer is parked. Mc D and SB is out of the ?. This is for my wife's full time job.

I'm thinking her co. will pay for this, so I want the best of the best. Heck, even if I pay for it...... Need to keep the Mrs happy if I'm hugging a palm tree every morning while she's working....Lol

Thanks for the help so far.....

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Don't underestimate the free WI-FI, some spots are awesome, just have a back up for high usage times. If you are just moving text there should be little issues, maybe some wait times for a big down loads-Streaming Videos is another issue.

Remember its the amount of users VS the size of the pipe and right now I am doing a design for a town that gets alot of tourist traffic and the town wants to offer free WI-FI down main street and along the water where its parks are. All WI-Fi antennas will be linked back to the office with fiber cable + cameras/CCTV

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Most portable hot spots are associated with cell phone services. Sometimes you can get a good enough line from your cell phone even to tether to it, but you can also get a portable WIFI from your provider (Verizon is the one I see most).

If you happen to be an Xfinity customer, check out your plan ... with my home internet plan, I have access to any Xfinity WIFI spot I can find. It's kept me from purchasing a portable plan because I'm almost always within range of a good hotspot.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
dingbat - Verizon Pantech, does that access satellites? We need very good access while the trailer is parked. Mc D and SB is out of the ?. This is for my wife's full time job.

I'm thinking her co. will pay for this, so I want the best of the best. Heck, even if I pay for it...... Need to keep the Mrs happy if I'm hugging a palm tree every morning while she's working....Lol
Pantech is cell based. It's not going to work without cell service.

How much data does she go thru? Speed? Satellite is slow and pricey

You now know why a bunch of guys in company shirts are sitting in their cars in McDonald's parking lots.....lol

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I have no idea what the usage is with her LT.....

FWIW, we use Verizon as our cell phone carrier...

boatman37

Lieutenant
if she is VPN'ing into her office then it is using an encrypted tunnel if you are concerned with snoopers. so you can use any free wi-fi without fear of the bad guys. now if you are just surfing the net and buying stuff with your credit card then that is a different story but as long as she is VPN'd into work then you are safe.
otherwise, maybe try an unlimited data plan and use you cell plan to access wireless like mentioned above. even that isn't 100% safe but5 better than using free wi-fi

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yep, she's VPNing, so she's secure..... That's about all I know... Lol We talked about getting a smart phone and use it as her hot spot too. Kid has a fancy phone( she informed me that she has a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. Whatever that is....Lol), just not her parents!

Thanks for the advice.

boatman37

Lieutenant
yeah, she can use her Galaxy as a hot spot. i had a Galaxy S4 and used to to tether to it when i was away from home. just be careful if you have a limited data plan

thumpar

Admiral
Don't be afraid of the hot spots, especially with a VPN. There is encryption on all data over the VPN. Depending on what she is doing she could eat up a lot of data fast with the cell providers. I can use my iPhone as a hot spot and not have to pay an extra fee with Verizon but I could eat up all the data on my plan doing that. The only way to get satellite internet is to have a special dish. I don't know if they even make portable ones for that service because they have to be aligned with specialty equipment when moved. If they do make them they are probably in the thousands to make them point themselves. It is also slow.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
$6.5k? Ahhhhh, no..

I was going thru my e-mails and she must be looking at this:
Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot—AC791L

The issue I see with that is you're under contract. So you're paying a monthly fee even when you're not using it. Which will be a lot during the year....

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
They have data caps on them too. The $6.5 is for a satellite setup.

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you think her company might foot the bill for her to telecommute from anywhere, I'd suggest she talk to them.

A simple USB stick aircard may do all she needs to do via a cell network.

I suspect unless you (or them) step up to a satellite setup, expensive even if found for less then 6500, she'll be tethered to either cell towers or WIFIs no matter what other kind of setup you get, hotspot or otherwise.

Depending on what setup she gets, she might be able to turn the cell signal off (on a smartphone I use Airplane mode) and force usage of WIFI. Doesnt burn up data that way. I can also set my smartphone to surf WIFI 1st, when available. Which when I'm stationary for more then 5min works pretty well to limit my data usage. In a moving vehicle, I have to remember to switch it off of forced WIFI 1st when driving in traffic or near places that broadcast WIFI. Switching in and out of WIFI lags my loading speeds and often drops the signal as I move away from the source, which is now cars too, so it fails to fully load. PIA....

Different cell carriers offer different types of service. Sprint has a Hotspot, as do others I'm sure, but IMO, unless I want to tether more then 1 device to a cell service internet connection, I dont want a Hotspot, per se. I'd rather just use my smartphone's data, that way its 1 less device to carry, transport and keep powered.......

If I'm travelling w my LT, I use free WIFI, or I dont surf w it. My smartphone always keeps me well covered w cell coverage and/or data.

A prepaid Aircard could be used, and only active for the 30-45 days surrounding a trip or maybe 90days for use all summer.

Verizon offers them for sub $75 for prepaid aircard and sub $50 for post paid w a monthly bill. No idea on the prepaid or post paid rates or GB limits. And just like home modems, you want to be aware of what standard the aircard is broadcasting: wireless g, b or n.

IIRC theres at least 1 more newer standard that I dont recall the letters for, wireless nn, maybe?

Hope that helps ^^^ if only a little

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
AC is the new standard. One thing to try would be to put software on the computer that will record data usage. I know windows can do it but 3rd party would be better. You could turn it on and have her connect as usually and for a couple hours like she normally would. You could then multiply it out to see roughly how much data would be used.

spoolin01

Seaman
At the low cost end is something like the NetGear Mingle mobile hot spot and FreedomPop service. For $3.99/mo and a $30 purchase fee, I get 500MB (easily doubled for free to 1GB) per month of data. Higher data plans are available but pricing starts at $20/mo. It uses the Sprint 3G and 4G LTE networks - you can check coverage for the areas you expect to visit. 3G is manageable but slow for simple web access, and is what you will get outside of population centers. 4G LTE is fast, but likely only available near sizeable cities.

I use it (and the data plan on my smartphone) just for things like web surfing and audio stuff like podcasts or streaming radio while on the road. I have yet to go over 100MB per month. If you watch a lot of YouTube or other videos, you could need 10-100X more, and FP may not be the best provider for cost.

FreedomPop has an annoying habit of sneak billing for unexpected things whenever you make a service change, but I have found it simple and quick to correct.

There are similar hot spot options from probably all of the major mobile carriers and many of their resellers (like FP), but the few of those I've looked at have much higher equipment cost, and usually $40 monthly minimums. Of course, you get a lot more data for that. The FreedomPop deal works well for me, since I don't use it constantly, and you can even take it in and out of service whenever you want to suspend usage, for no charge. If you need 4G LTE service in the sticks, I don't know which carrier, if any, is best for that. No doubt it highly depends on where you are.

ETA: you're getting a lot of advice on different options, but they all boil down to about the same thing: you use either wifi (like at Starbucks) which someone else is paying for, or cellular/mobile data which you pay for. To access cellular data, you need either a mobile broadband card (like a USB stick or one that installs inside the laptop), or a hot spot, which is just a mobile broadband device that you access via wifi. With a hot spot, more than one user can access the service at the same time. It gets more complicated, because often you can turn your mobile broadband-enabled laptop or your smartphone with mobile data into a hot spot that others can access via wifi. The key is, you need a mobile broadband access device (stick, card, smartphone, hot spot), with a data plan that you pay for. There are basically three carriers that provide all the cellular infrastructure in the US - ATT, Verizon, and Sprint. Everyone who sells a plan, piggybacks off those networks. The quality of service (coverage and 3G vs 4G LTE) varies by carrier in different parts of the country, so you have to check into that as well. I don't believe you get roaming (ability to jump to someone else's network than the one you pay for, when they are the ones with service in your current location) with mobile data plans, but maybe in some cases you do for extra charge.

I'm no expert, but this is how I've come to understand this.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm going to have the wife read this thread too. I know the Mc Ds, Starbucks, libraries are out. She needs at least 8hrs of continuous access, from the trailer... We'll look at all the options and decide what's best for her needs....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't remember if this one was mentioned, but Straight Talk, part of Tracfone, has mobile hotspot devices in 3G and 4G LTE versions. And a reconditioned one(3G) is free and all you do is buy air time by the gigabyte. 50 bucks for the 4G LTE and 30 bucks for a new 3G.

Use it for as long as you need and let the time lapse, next trip buy more air time and reactivate. Cheap enough to buy and try - A free recon and 1GB card is only $15. For cheap money, I would give t a try.

https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/shop/otherdevices/hotspot