AR15 question?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
What ever happened to the Vietnam era method of piggy backing 30 rd magazines by taping them together in opposite directions? In the day, of course, they used duct tape to do that. I would have thought that there would be some formal couplers made to do that, but there does not seem to be any. All that is available, that I can find, are couplers that hold them apart in a staggered manner with the tops in the same direction.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
The couplers you mentioned still work....just flip one mag over. I think they just show them like that for the aesthetics of it.

thetmaxx

Cadet
I thought for sure magpul made 'em. But I see people on youtube duct tape them all the time. Of course out here in California we're stuck with bullet buttons and 10 rd mags. Only the criminals have 30 rd mags taped together :-/

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
The couplers you mentioned still work....just flip one mag over. I think they just show them like that for the aesthetics of it.

They would work in that fashion but the drawback is that there is a half inch gap between the magazines which make a much bulkier package.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I bought a bunch of butt clips for 30 rounders on ebay a couple of months ago, but I don't like them, I just use duct tape like I did when I was in the service.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Issues are: is easy to damage the lips on the down facing mag or partially dislodge a cartridge making it slower to reload. More weight isn't always a positive thing. I thought Magpul still made em as well..... Cheaper n Dirt would have em, if nowhere else.

thumpar

Admiral
The clips are made. If I wanted extra rounds I would get a bigger mag. It is going to weigh the same and you don't have to switch mags to get to them.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I duct taped mine while in the service, for a while, then I got to the point I just carried extras in a web belt, they were just as quick to change and I didn't have to worry about the balance of the gun.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Mine's too heavy as it is. Last thing I want is another mag taped to it.