Kubota D722 Diesel Engine - Any Experts Here?

ehenry

Commander
I have a strange occurrence with this engine in a Kubota B7300 compact tractor.......It is leaking fuel out of the bell housing and out of the bottom starter bolt. Non of the injectors in the head are leaking, none of the return lines are leaking and there are no cracks in the fuel tank. I am totally at a loss and have no clue how the fuel is getting in the bell housing. I removed the started and the flywheel is wet with diesel. No fuel getting in the oil.

You can see the fuel dripping from the bottom starter bolt and a wire holder.

alldodge

Staff member
On the right side of the engine is the injection pump, lift pump and the supply and return lines. My guess is one of your lines is leaking and it is running down the block or hose until it gets to the rear of the motor. Take your hand and run along the fuel lines (supply and return) to feel for leaks

rbh

Fleet Admiral
If it is non of the lines are leaking I would expect it is the lower O-ring/seal on the injection pump leaking under the pressure of the pump.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If it is non of the lines are leaking I would expect it is the lower O-ring/seal on the injection pump leaking under the pressure of the pump.

^^^^^^

I would bet my fortune that the o-ring is leaking.

ehenry

Commander
Each plunger in the injection pump has two orings on it. The orings have been replaced on all three plungers because the plungers were leaking fuel from under the flanges of the where they bolt to the injection pump. I've cleaned the engine completely with a steam cleaner, sprayed all the lines and injectors in the head with two cans of break cleaner, let it dry and shook baby powder on and around the injectors and back side of the engine to try and find a leak and I cant can see anything leaking any where.

I got home yesterday afternoon and checked the bucket and there was no more fuel in it. I tightened the bell housing bolts that I'd loosened, filled tractor totally full of fuel and rode it around like a four wheeler for an hour or more. I cant see anymore leaks coming from the starter or where the engine and bell housing join. This morning it is totally dry under the tractor. Its a total myth to me how that fuel got in to the bell housing.

Last edited: