Ford F-150 Supercrew 2.7L Ecoboost vs 3.5L Ecoboost: Thoughts? Experiences?

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
The admiral has authorized the search for a new Supercrew. I am leaning towards the 3.5L Ecoboost for the performance, fuel economy, and towing capacity but the 2.7L Ecoboost has a lot to offer. Main difference that i can tell is the 2.7L is rated at 7200 and the 3.5L is rated for 10900 towing or thereabouts.

Has anyone driven and towed with the 2.7L Ecoboost? Has anyone experienced the option the 2.7L has where if you are stopped at a light, the engine shuts down. then starts up when you press the accelerator?

We are looking at he Lariat or King Ranch version with 4WD so any feedback, experience, or thoughts are appreciated.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
There is an F150 Forum that could answer your question better. I believe both engines are good. I might be in the market for a new Mustang in 2020. I'm hoping a 2.7 Ecoboost will be offered as an option by then. I would love to have a 350 plus horsepower light weight 2.7L Ecoboost engine in my next Mustang :)

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Got a 2016 Fusion with AWD and eco-boost...The fusion would never be on my list, now that I have one (company car), it'd be pretty close to the top. I know, not what you asked, but just a shout out for the eco-boost family. Ask yourself what you're towing...then go bigger!

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
Bought the 2016 F150 Supercrew with the 2.7L Ecoboost. So far I am pleased with the performance and the fuel economy. Just have 800 miles on the clock so far but am extrmemly pleased with it. Gor the Lariat with 4WD and turning about 20 MPG running between Seattle and Stanwood. For the first time in over 20 years, I have not had the biggest V-8 i could get and now have the smallest V-6 I have ever owned. Making almost as much Horse Power as the V-8 but it runs great, great performance, and great economy. I have driven the 3.5L Ecoboost for many miles in my dad's King Ranch Super Crew and loved it. If anyone is interested, Car & Driver just published an article comparing the 2.7L, 3.5L, and the 5.0L and the results will surprise you. They did me.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
A co-worker has a super crew with the 2.7 eco boost and loves it. He's got around 50k on it with no issues.
FWIW, his weekend car is a supercharged Mustang Cobra!