Can you guys help a non-boater with some fiberglass advice?

dntsdad

Cadet
Hi everyone. I had a couple people refer me here even though I am not a boat guy.

These are fiberglass steps in my in ground pool. As you can see the top layer (gelcoat??) is coming apart and there are large blisters and bubbles coming up everywhere. I dont see any cracks or structural damage.

Anyway, I really have no idea where to start from here to make this a DYI project. I have an HVLP setup but I think that a roller for this would be better to get the texture and honestly, I dont even know what materials I am looking at.

Also, I would like to change the color to a gray if that matters.

Any help, advice you guys can dish out, or advise me of what to post here to help you, help me would be great.

Thanks 20160508_104438_opt.jpg 20160508_104419_opt.jpg

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Lots of bubbles is very bad... the fiberglass is de-laminating.

If its widespread the liner is going to need major work... or replacement.

Does not look promising for successful repair.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Looks like it's been painted before and that layer of paint is peeling. You need to check the blisters to see if they're between the paint and gel coat, or under the gel coat.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
It does look more like paint ... Although gell coat does blister or really the glass under it . I would think it would be more of spider cracks .
Close up pics of the blisters may help ..
Is it like that over the entire pool ?

dntsdad

Cadet
I dont think that it is paint. I have been here in this house for 20 years and I didn't paint it.

I cannot seem to get any high res pics to upload but I can link to a pool site I also posted at. This is just the steps. The rest of the pool is a vinyl liner.

It appears that mostly what is flaking off is whatever is giving it its texture. under it is mostly smooth.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ps-help-please

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The smooth surface underneath is gel coat, the different color with texture that's flaking looks like paint of some type. You could have blisters in the fiberglass, it's not uncommon, but to tell you will need to dig one out and look at it. Or possibly post clearer pics.

The link to a link didn't get me anywhere unless I wanted to join.

I was in the swimming pool industry for more than 20 years, also had my own company that renovated pools, so refinishing was something we did every week, several times.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
One way to know for sure what is gelcoat and what is paint is to soak a towel or paper towel with Acetone and lay it flat on top of the blistered area; if it is start to wrinkle and bubble, it is paint, no change at all.. it is gel. Of course this method has the potential of ruining the paint so it is suitable for situation like yours where repairs will happen either way.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I too,owned and operated a Swimming pool company for 10 years.back in the 80's. I specialized in Vinyl liner pools. Installed a Lot of those style of step units. They are Thermo Plastic and what you're dealing with IMHO, is UV damage to the finish layer of the thermo plastic causing it to peel away. Your best bet for a durable nice looking finish is to clean, sand and Paint with a quality 2 part epoxy paint and then keep the unit protected from the sun as much as possible. Do you know the MFG of the pool?

dntsdad

Cadet
I too,owned and operated a Swimming pool company for 10 years.back in the 80's. I specialized in Vinyl liner pools. Installed a Lot of those style of step units. They are Thermo Plastic and what you're dealing with IMHO, is UV damage to the finish layer of the thermo plastic causing it to peel away. Your best bet for a durable nice looking finish is to clean, sand and Paint with a quality 2 part epoxy paint and then keep the unit protected from the sun as much as possible. Do you know the MFG of the pool?

Well, I just logged back in to thanks everyone and also tell everyone that I am an idiot and they are not fiberglass at all but thermoplastic as you said.

I do not know the maker of the pool nor can I see any names or numbers on the steps. I have been googling and googling paint for thermoplastic and not making much progress. I also need to figure out the bubbles. If I press on them hard enough, theyll start to squirt water so they are leaking.

my plan is to sand down the paint, fix the bubbles (not sure how yet) and then apply a quality paint as you say. If a 2 stage epoxy, then that. Any recommendatinos on a brand/series, etc.

You wouldnt happen to know what type of thermoplastic they may be would you? There seem to be a few different ones that may effect how I tackle the patching, or welding, of the cracks under the bubbles.

Thermoplastic Ether Ester Elastomer
TPE Thermoplastic Elastomer
TPO, EPM, TEO Thermoplastic Olefin
Thermoplastic Polyurethane

thanks to everyone

Last edited:

dntsdad

Cadet
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Hopefully easier to see

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
That's why I asked if you knew the MFG. Every Stair MFG makes em a bit different. Your pics aren't showing...at least not for me.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
It does look like flaking paint to me specially in the first picture but I could be wrong.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
If its thermoplastic...

Do not try the acetone trick. That will deform or destroy most plastics.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
If it is thermoformed they are typically acrylic and glassed on the back side for strength, the blistering is normally between the acrylic and glass laminate. The textured finish can be part of a co-extruded sheet with a mix of different plastics. Painting them is a little more difficult.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Correct^^^. The issue the OP is having, Now that I can see the pics better, is delamination of the Thermoplastic finish. This, as ondarvr has suggested, could end up being a problem. dntsdad, you're gunna need to grind/sand out the bubbles and all the other problem areas and see what lies below. We can then hopefully guide you from there. You MIGHT be able to do some glass repair but...they MIGHT be a lost cause!! It's to early to tell right now.:noidea:

dntsdad

Cadet
I just want to say thanks for all the help thus far first of all.

I have a random orbital sander that I use for woodworking. If I load that up with 80, -->120 and get the bubbles out along with all the textured topcoat/paint that would be the way to do it? I can pressure wash the treads where the impressions are for the grip and hope I can get most of the paint/whatever out of there.

A lost cause is NOT an option :blue::blue: :):)

I have to be able to fix this somehow, even if its not the most ideal way.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You need to dig out the blisters, sanding them with an orbital sander would take a while. Use a stiff wire brush on the tread surface, or just sand it off and re-do the non skid in the paint layer.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You can probably use a utility knife and cut around the edges of the bubbles and remove the skin and then use the R/O sander to do the sanding and fairing. If you end up with divots in the surface you can use some tiger hair to fill them.

dntsdad

Cadet
Sounds like a plan for Saturday. I'll post updates

Thanks a ton for the hand holding