Converting a 5.56mm AR15 to Russian 7.62x39?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
What does it take and will it swallow the steel case ammunition once you do it?

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Professional gunsmith needs to answer that...

But I expect its a new barrel and bolt and receiver group.
(you get to re-use the stock)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
There is an AR based 7.62mm x 39 already available., the beauty of the AR platform is how many different types of guns you can make out of them, I just finished building my 3rd one, which is a 6.5mm Grendel. The AR platform is really one of the most flexible platforms there is on the market, because you can basically make it anything you want. I am now gathering the parts I need to build and AR 10, You can also build or buy a 7.62 X 51 version. My .300 that I built is a 7.62 x 35 version and I could take the upper off of mine and shoot it on yours.

Boom, there is even a 50 caliber version of the AR available, the big C sells an upper that will fit on your rifle. There are so many things you can do with them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AR_platform_calibers

Volphin

Lieutenant
Armalite made one. I'm not sure it is still in production, but it is one fine system. I have one, and it is one of my favorites! By the time you buy everything to convert it, you may as well have just bought another anyway. The mags are curved slightly to facilitate proper feeding. It will eat whatever you feed it, steel or brass. IMHO, it is the best of both worlds. A proper battle round with the accuracy of an AR.

thumpar

Admiral
Barrel, bolt and mags. The best way would just be to get an upper and mags, then you can switch back and forth. The 7.62x39 will run steel case just fine. The angles of the chamber are steeper than the 5.56x45 so it doesn't get so gummed up.

thumpar

Admiral
If you go the upper route go with one that comes with BCG and CH. It will be cheaper in the long run.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Yup, always get one with the BCG and CH, that was you can be shooting without the worry.

I haven't looked at your link yet, MT, but tell me BCG and CH are? Sounds like a conversion like this is a no brainer as 7.62 x 39 steel case ammo is cheaper and would not take long to pay for it.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
If you go the upper route go with one that comes with BCG and CH. It will be cheaper in the long run.

Cheaper than what, thumpar? Do these 'uppers' require an FFL requirement?

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Cheaper than what, thumpar?
Cheaper than buying an upper that doesn't include the BCG and CH and then buying those separate. You are looking at around $100 for the BCG and $15 for the CH. An added bonus to buying together is you know they work together.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Cheaper than what, thumpar? Do these 'uppers' require an FFL requirement?

No FFL required to purchase an complete upper, but if you buy one that is shorter than a 16" you will have to file for a tax stamp that will cost you $200 and take between 4-6 months to get from ATF, during that time, if you put the parts together, then you have violated Federal law for having a Short Barreled Gun. In the AR game, the lower receiver is the gun, the rest of it is just a paper weight as far as the ATF is concerned.

I have been picking my BCG up at Palmetto State Armory for $75 when they are on sale and my Charging Handles I get from Delta for $10

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Yep. I bought a stripped lower (private sale) and everything else you can just buy and have it shipped. The only part that is considered a gun is the lower. There is a way around the 16" barrel but you have to permanently attach a muzzle device. Mine is a 14.5" with a pinned flash hider.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Yep. I bought a stripped lower (private sale) and everything else you can just buy and have it shipped. The only part that is considered a gun is the lower. There is a way around the 16" barrel but you have to permanently attach a muzzle device. Mine is a 14.5" with a pinned flash hider.

As long as the total length is 16" or more, no matter how you get there, then it is just a firearm, I have seen uppers with 10" barrels and 6" muzzle devices permanently attached and they are legal. I have 2 14.5" and 3 16" barrels and they are all legal, I now have 5 AR's and am getting ready to build an AR-10 .308 and I have three M16A1's

My wife is starting to call me nuts! and roll her eyes at me all the time!

:lol:

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Are the A1's with 18" barrel and triangle handguards? I know some of the early ones had a 1 in 12 twist too.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Two of mine are Viet Nam era M16's, with the triangle handguards two are 1 in 12, one is a 1 in 9, which came into existence as an experiment before the A2 was brought out, my 3rd one was made right before the A2 went into service, my first issue rifle was an A2 when I went to Grenada.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Hey Boom, here is a complete 7.62X39 upper with BCG and CH with shipping its less than $350.00. That and a couple of mags and your ready to go.