LP Gas line installation

alldodge

Staff member
Trying to gather info on LP gas line installation.

Distances
Tank to side of house 70 feet (high pressure)
House side to tee connection 110 feet low pressure)

Was wanting to direct bury some kind of plastic from tank to house. Then run 1/2 copper around to tee. Running two fire place inserts 40K and 30K BTU. So I've found different types of pipe, but like the idea of running plastic underground and above ground on the outside of the house.

Also plan on adding tee's for a grill and maybe later a stove

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Here in Montana we have to use black iron from the tank to the house and you cannot close the hole until it is fully inspected. Copper is great in the house, but they won't budge on that outside buried line.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
they make a direct burry plastic gas line. however as MT pointed out. Local laws apply.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Call your gas company and ask. I was very pleasantly suprised when i added a gas stove. All after the house but still very happy. Well worth the couple extra bucks i spent. That said, trenching ahead of time for them is easy work and could save you a buck.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I need to run a new LP gas line. Will be interesting what you find out.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Here in north central WV there are 4 different gas suppliers, each w their own rules. Even among 1 company's 5 gas techs, they want it done a certain way, sometimes not exactly the way their office tells you what to do or how to do it. Usually to minimize how much work they have to do once on-site to make the final gas connections.

So, yep, ask your provider.

Plastic gas pipe is fairly common for direct burial and it uses specific types of risers (and its connections to the pipe). The riser is usually a hard pipe large radius elbow/sweep w a minimum/maximum bury depth marked on it. And it needs to be stabilized (for NG, by the meter bar) where it comes out of the ground at the tank and at the house w stand-offs and U clamps.

It isnt really DIY friendly (cant even buy it here w out passing the certification from manufacturer) but I'd recommend Ward-Flex over copper for running gas lines under the house.

I suspect you'll need a manifold and gas regulator to change from high pressure to low at the house or tee. Just like voltage drop in electrical runs, gas pressure drops over.a long run. Going w larger volume, bigger diameter pipe, reduces pressure drop and might eliminate need to run high pressure underground.

W out regulator and/or manifold, pressure will all be the same from tank to appliance thru the tee....

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I've installed NG line from the street to the house and also used black iron in side the house in Louisville KY. Used the plastic 3/4 (I think) and local Gas company inspected. Would like to find something showing the risers on each end of the plastic line. The one used in Louisville just had a riser on one end, the gas company did the main connection.

I'm still in KY but out in the country and there are no local codes I can find other then regulator location and bury depth of 12 inches. Did find plastic covered copper or plastic is OK to use, would be great to also use plastic around the house. Once I reach the house the regulator is installed and has to be 3 feet from a window or other opening.

In research found a table for the different regulators and the amount of pressure. The issue is which regulator is the one to use (11 inch water column, 2, 10 psig) which also will dictate what size low pressure size pipe to use.
http://www.lp-gasequipment.com/products/pdf/LPGas_Cat2010_p157-175.pdf

The gas company sells the regulator so guess just ask them. If their regulator is 11" WC then for 100 feet I'm into the 3/4 to 7/8 depending on all stuff connected. Do understand the pressure drop issue. Guess I could Tee right at the regulator and run another line to the grill and stove for later use. Right now it's just the two gas log sets for 70K BTU.

I don't know how much pressure the log sets are setup for. Guess another call to the folks that installed them. Sure would like to find someone who does this kind of stuff. The folks who installed the logs don't really want to do the line, they quoted 4K (give me a break). It's not hard just need more info on do's and don'ts

alldodge

Staff member
Made some headway with answers for KY requirements.

Can use plastic for underground but must have metal risers at both ends, reason squirrel's like yellow plastic. Also stated that plastic is cheaper, but by the time you buy the risers it about breaks even. Also the tech said that he has found where something had dug under ground and eat thru the plastic pipe. Plastic coated copper meets requirements for direct burial.

Will require 2 regulators, high pressure at the tank and low pressure at the house. The low pressure can be under the deck, so I can run high pressure line under the deck to the mid way point to the low pressure regulator, then Tee off in both directions.

Half inch line will work for high and low pressure piping, and also my current and short term future plans

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Check with local heating and air contractors. They should run gas ines both black iron and flex. Ive seen it quoted at around $10-$13 a foot locally. My company hasn't ran any in a few years as we do mostly changeouts on existing equipment. I have a locall guy who specializes in gas appliances that I direct customers to. I have also used him because he's fast, and I know he does good work that passes inspection every time.

Last edited: