Car AC question?

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Sounds like I'll be skipping the Pep Boys then, thanks for the heads up! My fan wont be here until Tuesday.

​When a compressor fails is it usually all or none or can they go intermittently?

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
One possibility is that if the fan is bad and/or quit, the compressor could have tripped out on high pressure switch. Does this Explorer have rear A/C? Automatic controls or manual controls? Ford had an issue some years back with the manual controls the switch contacts get hot and quit working. Dont remember the years this was an issue but worth checking if you havent found the source yet.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
They're manual controls, and it does have rear AC. I will look into that. I'm still hoping the burning was the condenser fan temporarily seizing causing it to overheat and stop cooling as the fan definitely has seen it's last days and they've also had a history of problems with the fans too. I've read in a couple places that most compressor failures are secondary to something else that was missed or ignored.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Well, for the sake of closure I figured I'd hopefully make my last post on this one! I swapped out the condensor fan assembly last Sunday and, while it hasn't been blazing hot yet, my wife has been able to commute in stop and go traffic with the AC on and it's blowing cold air with no burning smell. (Knocking on wood as I type...) I did find a big mouse nest under the engine cover, there was probably 3 handfulls of some sort of paper/insulation combo wadded up. There was some nibbling on the plastic corrugated wire covering but the wires were all clean.

Thanks for all the info!

sam am I

Commander
LOL...maybe idlespeed should decide that. We are just discussing it.

Well since I brought it up, I thought I'd add my opinion on it on an open forum but, I guess you run the discussion now...........LOL

As i said......waste of time

Last edited:

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Here ya go Bruce.

Attachments

• photo244584.jpg
    photo244584.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: