Backhoe engine hard to start in ALL weather

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
We just got a new Holland 675e backhoe, a 1999. This thing will start right up sometimes, and it runs great when it does, but other times it will just crank and crank with out firing up. Every-time I search for this issue, they assume this is in COLD weather, but its not, this is in 70 degree weather! I assume there is air in the system, but the service manual does not tell you how to bleed air out of the system. Is it on the bottom of the fuel filter? When I loosen that plastic spout on the bottom, some fuel came out.
afilter.PNG

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Check your fuel lines and injectors, I had to replace the injectors in one of my trucks because a couple of them had cracks in them where the fuel line attached.

alldodge

Staff member
The fuel filter is a fuel/water separator type, and the valve on the bottom is to check for water. If water makes it to the injectors it can bend or bust a rod or piston. Maybe once a month check for water.

Sounds like your fuel is bleeding back, so when you go to start there is no fuel present.. Not familiar with the new Holland, I have all Cat and International equipment. Not sure if your tractor use a lift pump, common rail, mechanical, or other. Being a 99 I'm thinking lift, common rail and Piezo injectors.

Once the motor is running smooth there should never be the need to bleed air out unless changing the fuel/water filter, and most only need the filter bleed

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
how do you bleed the filter? The manual shows a screw on the side on the filter, between the fuel pump and the filter, but that screw does not exist, even thou its there in the manual. There is also a thumb screw on top of the fuel bowl, but when you unscrew that, it sucks air IN, not OUT.

alldodge

Staff member
how do you bleed the filter? The manual shows a screw on the side on the filter, between the fuel pump and the filter, but that screw does not exist, even thou its there in the manual. There is also a thumb screw on top of the fuel bowl, but when you unscrew that, it sucks air IN, not OUT.

Post a pic or two and maybe we can figure it out.
My backhoe has two of those filters, one down lower then the other. To bleed air out of mine when replacing, there is a lever on the side of the lift pump and a thumb screw on the top of the upper filter housing. Loosen the thumb screw and start pumping the hand primer until all the air comes out and fuel is coming out.

On my loader, there is only one filter, and the hand pump is besides the filer and a thumb screw on top the filter housing. Same thing, pump until air is all out.

Dozer is gravity feed out thumb screw on top filter

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I usually just pre-fill the fuel filter, install, let it stumble for a bit and it clears up.

I believe the motor is a New Holland BSD 450T with a stanadyne fuel pump and mechanical injectors fed by a lift pump.

I would check for leaks

alldodge

Staff member
I have filled, bleed and run, but only filled and let it stumble once. It stumbled and died, and then I had to bleed the injector lines to get it started again.

Use to fill bleed and go, but no longer, only takes one speck of dirt to clog an injector. Maybe I'm just to much of a worry wart, but that's just me

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
AD, you could be right. However with hundreds of gen sets, a few hundred locomotives, thousands of diesel firepump drivers, and hundreds of off-road applications, I may have been lucky.

Now the 6.2 diesel in Dad's old suburban was a biotch to burp the fuel system if there was air.

back to the NH TLB. should be able to swap filters, crack injector lines and go.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
I have a Perkins and a ford industrial in two of my machines and they do not have glow plugs so I need to plug them in if it is cool, as well if the batteries are low the motor will not spin fast enough to make the motors fire.
The cat 3208 in my old digger has a dried out o-ring somewhere in the fuel system that is allowing fuel to fall back over a few days, so I need to use the hand primer to pressure up the system before it will fire.

If there are glow plugs make sure they all are working as well as the glow plug controller. as well make sure all the lines are tight between the fuel lift pump and the injectors (a loose one will let air into the system even if you do not see fuel leaking out. next time you replace the fuel filters use "OIL" not diesel to lube the filter o-ring as diesel will dry up and it will suck air

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
I'm thinking it needs a new fuel lift pump. That's really the only thing I think it could be. I think somehow the pump is pumping air. If the injectors were dirty, it would not run so good when it does start. Why will it start with starter fluid, then maybe stall out, but then start up and run fine?

I think when the engine does start, the mechanical pumps take over, and make up for the faulty lift pump that's above the filter.