Fix for spare tire mount on Toyota Sienna?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
We have a 2013 Toyota Sienna minivan. This weekend while driving, I heard a thump like I ran over something. I looked behind my in the rear view mirror and saw a tire laying in the road. Turns out it was our spare tire! In our case, we luckily weren't at highway speed, nor was there anyone behind us. I hate to think what might have happened if we were at highway speeds on a crowded interstate.

Toyota stored the spares under the van, suspended by a cable that is attached to a mount. From inside the van, the tire is winched up into place. Apparently, there is a problem with this system in northern climates where road salt causes the cable to corrode and eventually break, dropping the tire onto the road. Toyota recalled '04-'11 minivans in 2014, but their solution was to put the tire into the rear storage compartment.

I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem with a newer Sienna and what you've done with your spare. I need to call our dealership, but from what I've read, the solution will be to put the tire in the storage area and wait for Toyota to come up with a fix. I'm not crazy about that idea, because the tire will not only take up space but it will prevent the rear seats from folding down, which was one of the things that really attracted us.

Anyone else dealing with this?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would try to get the old part, and fill the winch drum area with LPS #3 or open face gear lube. problem solved in northern climates. makes a mess when you pull the cable out covered in gear lube, however wont rust. you can also replace your existing rusted steel cable with stainless cable

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I fixed the same system on my Ford Aerostar van by using Synthetic Winch cable, the stuff is impervious to corrosion and you can't break it, I use it on my 15K winch on one of my rock crawling trucks and it is great, little expensive, but to not have to worry about it, gives me piece of mind. I had 1/4 cable on the spare tire mount and replaced it with 3/8 synthetic cable and have not worried since.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Dynema rope is available at any sail rigging company.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Toyota took more than a year to get the parts to fix my dads 07 Sienna.
Harbor freight sells a synthetic winch cable.