Towing my truck?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I am wondering, I have a 99 shortbed 4x4 Silverado and I have been trying to track something down if it is possible to actually tow behind my motorhome? Flat towing, dolly, Flatbed, pluses and minuses? Is anybody doing this? If so, what modifications does the truck require, I know with older 4x4 trucks with manual transfer cases, you could put the transfer case in neutral, I have seen this done a lot in the past. I don't know much about these vehicles with the electric transfer cases. thoughts?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Thanks Scott, that is what I could not figure out, how to get ithe T-Case in Neutral! It has a neutral indicator, but is the electric push button 4 wheel drive system, I went to a repo guys website and he had the procedure there for getting it into neutral.. It is an easy procedure in case anyone wants to know.

Just turn the key to the on position, shift the transmission to neutral, then push the 2Hi and 4Lo button at the same time and hold for 10 seconds and you will hear it go into neutral and the red LED next to neutral will illuminate. To go back to normal 2 Hi, just push the 2 Hi button again.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
make sure to put motor back in park and take keys out of ignition (and put in your pocket so you dont loose them)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
make sure to put motor back in park and take keys out of ignition (and put in your pocket so you dont loose them)

I have 3 sets of keys for all of my vehicles, one that I carry, one my wife carries and one that is in the safe in the motorhome/trailer, learned that the hard way many years ago, Oh, forgot to add, one of my buddies has keys to everything in his safe in his house, just in case we screw 3 times.

thumpar

Admiral
My Yukon can go into neutral by holding down the buttons. It is a 2000 so probably the same system.

bassman284

Commander
Thanks Scott, that is what I could not figure out, how to get ithe T-Case in Neutral! It has a neutral indicator, but is the electric push button 4 wheel drive system, I went to a repo guys website and he had the procedure there for getting it into neutral.. It is an easy procedure in case anyone wants to know.

Just turn the key to the on position, shift the transmission to neutral, then push the 2Hi and 4Lo button at the same time and hold for 10 seconds and you will hear it go into neutral and the red LED next to neutral will illuminate. To go back to normal 2 Hi, just push the 2 Hi button again.
Huh. It was better in the old days when you just moved a lever to "N".

bassman284

Commander
I agree, but we ain't in Kansas anymore Toto, things have changed!
Yeah, on my 2008 grand cherokee as bet I can remember I have to use a pencil or something to hold this tiny little button down while I pat my head, rub my stomach and sing Mairzy doats. Or something like that. Maybe it's rub my head and pat my stomach.