Adjusting the boat cover for the wakeboard tower

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
I got a wakeboard tower on my boat and now I've got a dilemma, should I try to adjust my old boat cover, which is in great condition, well fitting and of a good quality material, or should I pursue buying a new boat cover which is at least $300? I think that cutting the holes for the tower supports and trimming them properly would do the job. Any other suggestions or advises?
Thank you

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Take it to a cavas shop and they can modify the cover. You will have to bring the boat.

oldjeep

Admiral
They will have to add material to make it work since you will need slots that can be opened and closed via overlapping Velcro - in addition to adding a rope pull connector on each side that can be detached. If your existing cover is awesome then it might be worth it, if not then something designed for the job might be a better choice.

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
I did it myself. Used a good boat cover.
1. Put the cover on the boat and marked the locations for the cuts.
2. Cut the openings.
Put the cover back on the boat and finished the cuts (still at the end the cuts were not completely fitting, they were off by +-1/2".
3. Once the cuts were made I trimmed the edges on the sewing machine. Tried to put additional trim material but the machine started stalling, the trimming was too thick.So I had to end up with just wrapping the cover material and sewing the trim like that.
4. On the loops, where the wakeboard tower supports were going I used the other trimming material, plastic one, the sewing machine did the job.
5 At the end I sew the velcro on the overlapping edges and even though my sewing job is far from perfect, the cover works. Ill post the pictures later.