Skunk Trap

sam am I

Commander
"Stinky" a pretty good sized skunk has decided to live under my back yard tool/storage shed. His smell, although pretty to the lady skunks, is permeating the place and anything in it. I tried for months now to block him out but, he's quite persistent as he just digs around and/or around any bricks i block his holes with.

So, either I line the entire perimeter with bricks which he'll probably just dig under anyway, kill him or I trap and relocate him once I have him in the bag so to speak...........I'll try to trap him to spare any tears as I do live with a female :sorrow:, plus, it's the right thing to try first anyway........Life (anythings, big or small) as a guy ages, seems to hold increasing values. Guess I'm getting soft.....arrrrg!

ummmmmmm, well.....

Anyone have good plans/success with a skunk size box trap? False floor, trip wire, whatever? What bait did you use?

BTW, this is one of Stinky's backyard friends, Larry (mom), Peanut and Jelly. Her nest was cut down in mid winter along with a tree after wind storm damage. I made this house with the remains of her nest I found on the ground and added a smart cam in a false roof ;).........I have this thing in a tree about 30' up in my backyard. She found it, moved in shortly after and had babies bout 6 weeks ago. Fun to watch the lil ones as they grow up.

baby25.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I know a few that do trap them and they use the old drop door traps with the trip pad in the center where you place the bait and they normally use cat food for bait, problem is, unless you can throw a cover over it you are gong to get sprayed! Most of us around here just shoot them and are done with it because unless take them a long ways and then release they will be back in a few days.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
The people who do wildlife removal/relocation here use Have a Heart traps. Once trapped cover the contained skunk for transport and keep it covered until its release. You'll have to relocate a good distance from where caught, several miles minimum to prevent return.

sam am I

Commander
I know a few that do trap them and they use the old drop door traps with the trip pad in the center where you place the bait and they normally use cat food for bait, problem is, unless you can throw a cover over it you are gong to get sprayed! Most of us around here just shoot them and are done with it because unless take them a long ways and then release they will be back in a few days.

Well, thought I'd try and will cover/sack it up and put him and the trap on the back of a flatbed. Cat food it is, ty. Probably take him over the hill east to MT......J/k MT. ;)

The people who do wildlife removal/relocation here use Have a Heart traps. Once trapped cover the contained skunk for transport and keep it covered until its release. You'll have to relocate a good distance from where caught, several miles minimum to prevent return.

Yes and yes, up into the national forest. Cool, thx for the info. I'll look up the trap type, ty

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I think it's pretty cool that you're making the effort to relocate Stinky. Have a virtual 'cold one' on me! :very_drunk:

And the Squirrel-cam is pretty neat, too.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I have caught and released a few w/o getting sprayed. A havahart trap works and the skunks get scared and try to dig out but one the trap is covered with a tarp they calm down. They really will not (rumored and never happened to me) spray in the trap. I have found when you go to set them free they might take 20 minutes to exit the trap. There are a few videos on you tube and once they figure out the door is open they will move away at a trot.

I relocate and have never seen the need to "dispatch" the animal unless it's a rat.

sam am I

Commander
Good info Bob, tyvm. We're going to Lowe's tomorrow for their "coon" size havahart trap. I think I'll try to secure some side/roof panels to the outsides of the trap before hand to aid in my stealthiness up to tarp Stinky once he's in. I might have to come up with a remote way to open the door though, I haven't quite thought that one through yet........Perhaps the light will shine once I get the trap.

64osby

Admiral
My Step dad had one under the front porch. We bought some fox scent and placed it on cotton balls all around the porch. Skunk was gone in one day, never to be seen again.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
All we did was take a 55 gal barrel, lean it against a 2X4,just so it was slightly over the balance point. Throw your preferred bait in the bottom. The next day you saw the barrel upright, you put the lid on it and hauled it to wherever ya wanted. No spray, no mess.....

sam am I

Commander
Got the Havaheart trap the other day, those are pretty cool traps I must say. It's just sitting on the garage floor still..........I guess I better do this. Wonder why I'm procrastinating?

My Step dad had one under the front porch. We bought some fox scent and placed it on cotton balls all around the porch. Skunk was gone in one day, never to be seen again.
I had read about doing this, seemed to have mixed results though.

Was thinking also he might come back at some point if I didn't keep up the fox pee'ing or best (worse) case, just become someone else's best friend. That's okay if I hated all my neighbors I reckon as he'd just move two doors down and not head for the high forest hills. Plus the GF put two and two together and thought they'd probably just kill him.:facepalm:

All we did was take a 55 gal barrel, lean it against a 2X4,just so it was slightly over the balance point. Throw your preferred bait in the bottom. The next day you saw the barrel upright, you put the lid on it and hauled it to wherever ya wanted. No spray, no mess.....

I like it..........Cheap too!! If I can't get him into the trap, I'll try this

Last edited: