Which IT cert is more useful?

ezbtr

Commander
Gettin to the point of workin again since accident at work 2 yrs ago (back and leg) and want to add a good cert, been in IT for 25+ yrs, which is better - CompTIA A+, Net+, Server+; Microsoft MCITP Desktop Support ? Cost and time?
Thanks guys

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I just went through this about a year and a half ago, got my net+ and then I went and got my Cisco certifications, those will open many doors for you, for less than a grand you can buy all of the equipment to get Cisco at home and the books through Amazon are quite reasonable so you can study at your own pace, it was a great way for me to get my Certs.

Now if you want to join this website and start asking questions, I did and it was areal benefit. If I can help, just send me a PM

http://www.techexams.net/forums/

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
I would get the A+ because it is easy. Server+ is pretty easy too. The Cisco stuff is a little spendy but has a lot of value behind it. Any more certs don't matter as much as experience. Many years ago, 15+, we had guys that would come in and get hired with all kinds of Microsoft certs but didn't know crap because they never actually worked on the stuff. We called them "paper techs". I have been doing it for almost 19 years now with only A+, server+ and the manufacturer specific required tests.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would get the A+ because it is easy. Server+ is pretty easy too. The Cisco stuff is a little spendy but has a lot of value behind it. Any more certs don't matter as much as experience. Many years ago, 15+, we had guys that would come in and get hired with all kinds of Microsoft certs but didn't know crap because they never actually worked on the stuff. We called them "paper techs". I have been doing it for almost 19 years now with only A+, server+ and the manufacturer specific required tests.

I have to agree, those paper certs don't matter, and unfortunately often time practical experience does not matter, the last 11 years I was on active duty, was in the Pentagon, working as one of the heads of Military Intelligence(No Puns Please) and I could not get a job in the civilian sector until I had paper in hand that could be verified!

It is a very rewarding field, but the pecking order can kill ya! If I was going to specialize, I would go into security and continue to fight other countries after our information. I would not touch Microsoft certs, they are way to diluted these days.

thumpar

Admiral
Security it huge now. Most of the IT companies around here are advertising there work on the security side with monitor and detection with computer support as a sideline. I do work for a credit union and get audited by the state and a 3rd party. Those are not fun but I get through it.

The way things are going things are going more and more to the cloud. That is where security really comes in. There is no "middle class" in IT anymore. It is the guy doing OS loads and virus stuff or higher end full network support. I would consider myself the "middle class". I know a a lot about everything but have lost some customers to the high end companies because I am a 1 man show.

boatman37

Lieutenant
The CompTIA certs are pretty much entry level. i have the A+ and network+ from several years ago and just did the security+ last month. it depends on your career level but the Cisco certs are good to have and anything security related. i'm currently studying for the CISSP but may do the CASP in between. the certs will only get you the interview. the experience and attitude will get you the job

thumpar

Admiral
The CompTIA is entry level but can get your foot in the door to a company that may pay for further schooling. I took the A+ when it was still asking about IRQs and memory addresses in DOS. I didn't have to pay for the server+ or the dell, Hp, toshiba, acer, etc testing after that because the company paid for it.

ETA: I didn't have to pay for the drug test that IBM required either :)

Last edited:

ezbtr

Commander
Desktop personal computer operating systems, network operating systems, telecommunication systems, and various software applications and hardware.

Operating principles and characteristics of desktop personal computer hardware systems, peripheral upgrades, network servers, backup systems, wireless networks, and remote access.

Data and voice networking principles and concepts.

Methods of instructing others in the use of computer equipment and applications.

Office administrative practices and methods.

Internet and Intranet concepts.

Ability to:

Intermittently analyze data.

Identify hardware problems; problem solve software and network-related issues.

Interpret user needs and explain a variety of issues to users.

Sit at a desk or computer workstation for long periods of time on a continuous basis; twist to reach equipment in surrounding work area; perform simple grasping, pushing, pulling, and fine manipulation; use telephone; write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means; and lift or carry weight of 40 pounds or less. May be required to communicate via mobile communication device.

Install, maintain, operate, and trouble-shoot computer hardware and software, telephone systems, and voicemail systems.

Work independently prioritizing and managing a heavy workload.

Train District staff in the operation of computer applications, including explaining system concepts to non-technical users.

Learn voicemail and PBX phone systems; maintain and administer systems.

Learn applicable application software and operating systems to a level of understanding that will be able to support staff using them.

Learn IBM AS/400 basic operation skills; maintain and administer systems.

Maintain accurate record of work performed.

Diplomatically work with a range of user personalities.

Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.

Establish and maintain effective and professional working relationships.

Work evenings, on-call, weekends, and holidays as assigned.

Learn and observe all appropriate safety precautions as required by the District including, but not limited to, Cal/OSHA General Industry Safety Orders, the District's Respiratory Protection Program, and District Safety Directives.

thumpar

Admiral
I would skip the AS/400 and phone stuff. The AS/400 is a rare dinosaur and the phone stuff is usually handled by a completely different company than the IT stuff. The only thing I get involved with on phones is the DNS records on the server when it is an IP phone system.

The dealing with people is a big thing. I do work as a consultant/tech for other companies through the company I work for. There are offices I visit all over the place. Keeping them happy can be hard at times but I have figured out how to communicate with them to let them understand what is going on it basic terms. I make sure before I leave that they are satisfied and all problems are taken care of.

ezbtr

Commander
I would skip the AS/400 and phone stuff. The AS/400 is a rare dinosaur and the phone stuff is usually handled by a completely different company than the IT stuff. The only thing I get involved with on phones is the DNS records on the server when it is an IP phone system.

The dealing with people is a big thing. I do work as a consultant/tech for other companies through the company I work for. There are offices I visit all over the place. Keeping them happy can be hard at times but I have figured out how to communicate with them to let them understand what is going on it basic terms. I make sure before I leave that they are satisfied and all problems are taken care of.

Oh I just happen to have a lot of AS400 experience, havent touched one in 9-10 yrs, as well as phone systems, yeah the people part I'm not wild about but this county job has great bennies and retirement and is 2 miles away :) They are just asking for any of these - CompTIA A+, Net+, Server+; Microsoft MCITP Desktop Support

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If they are asking for A+, get that, simple cert to get if it will get you in the door, and you never know, they will probably start paying for your other certs as you need them. Good luck!