HiPoint pistols

bigdee

Commander
I know, the gun snobs are going to crucify me but I bought a Hi Point C9 9 mm pistol and actually like it. This is for home defense only, I use a DOA pocket gun for CC. Took the gun to the range,,,,,200 rounds without a single failure and dead accurate. Has anyone had experience with this pistol?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I know, the gun snobs are going to crucify me but I bought a Hi Point C9 9 mm pistol and actually like it. This is for home defense only, I use a DOA pocket gun for CC. Took the gun to the range,,,,,200 rounds without a single failure and dead accurate. Has anyone had experience with this pistol?

I have owned 3 of them in the last few years and currently have one now, I have never had any problems with them, just take care of it, make sure the feed ramp is clean and they get better the more you fire them.

southkogs

Staff member
Wasn't the big "broo-ha-ha" about them a plastic piece in the action (don't remember which)? Is that something they changed? I've heard mixed reviews on 'em, but found them pretty comfortable to hold. Never shot one though.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Being honest, and as you know, I own a lot of guns, I find the High Point guns some of the best bang for the buck you can currently find in the market, they are bulky and ugly, but they shoot well, I have no complaints with the ones I have owned and fired. In fact, I think I am going to pick up one of their .40 S&W guns.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I had the 45, never had a problem. Only reason I don't have it now is I gave it to my son.

southkogs

Staff member
Cool ... I'll keep that in mind. That's a nicely priced gun.

thumpar

Admiral
They are not pretty but work great. I had some reloads that my Glock 26 didn't like but the Hi-Point C9 worked fine. I don't think I ever had a jam or FTF with the C9. If you do have a problem they have a lifetime warranty and have read that it is a good one.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You can run them over with a bulldozer, send them back to HP and they will rebuild or replace, best warranty in the business.

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
I wouldn't bet my life on a hi point basically based on reviews I have read.

You want cheap and reliable home defense in a handgun? Go get a used charter arms 38 revolver...for about the same price you have a safe and reliable home defense weapon.

Taurus is not bad either for the price....my carry piece is a Taurus TCP

Hi point and jiminez are 2 guns I wouldn't trust my life to.

I urge you guys to not to settle on cheap home defense....your life may literally depend on it one day...hopefully it never will, but I wouldn't stake my life on a bargain basement pot metal Saturday night special.

h

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
........Go get a used charter arms 38 revolver...for about the same price you have a safe and reliable home defense weapon.

I have three of them. The little 5 shot .38, two of them blued, one in stainless. Great little revolvers and strong, too. Unlike the little S&W model 36, the Charter Arms frame is like the Ruger. Everything goes in from the bottom so there are no side plates to weaken the frame. I was sad when I heard that Charter Arms had gone out of business. Back in the day, I used to sell them by the dozens.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I wouldn't bet my life on a hi point basically based on reviews I have read.

You want cheap and reliable home defense in a handgun? Go get a used charter arms 38 revolver...for about the same price you have a safe and reliable home defense weapon.

Taurus is not bad either for the price....my carry piece is a Taurus TCP

Hi point and jiminez are 2 guns I wouldn't trust my life to.

I urge you guys to not to settle on cheap home defense....your life may literally depend on it one day...hopefully it never will, but I wouldn't stake my life on a bargain basement pot metal Saturday night special.

h

As I stated, I have own 3 of them over the last few years, shot thousands of rounds through them, with exact;y zero fails to fire or failure at all.

I am not worried about them being bad guns, they are just fine. I also own rugers, S&W, etc. I own a lot of guns.

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
As I stated, I have own 3 of them over the last few years, shot thousands of rounds through them, with exact;y zero fails to fire or failure at all.

I am not worried about them being bad guns, they are just fine. I also own rugers, S&W, etc. I own a lot of guns.

Same here... I own around 7 pistols,a few shotguns and a rifle or two.

Again, Hi Point and jiminez pistols are both made out of cast metal...just like a matchbox or hot wheels toy car. Need I say more?

They have their place in the scheme of things but not as a "go to" firearm in a life or death situation.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Same here... I own around 7 pistols,a few shotguns and a rifle or two.

Again, Hi Point and jiminez pistols are both made out of cast metal...just like a matchbox or hot wheels toy car. Need I say more?

They have their place in the scheme of things but not as a "go to" firearm in a life or death situation.

I am pretty familiar with good and bad guns, I shot a lot of them during my close to 30 years in the army from all over the world, my carry gun is a .45 ACP small frame double action semi auto, the same gun the was carried by many Israelis when I was in the middle east, I have liked and do like my High Points and would not hesitate to use one of them in a life or death situation. Yes, I have read all the reviews and no, I don't find many of them to be accurate, people seem to form opinions of them and a lot of those offering opinions have no experience with them. As far as cast metal, there are lots of things in this world that is cast metal, including the engine block in all of my trucks.

If you know how to polish the feed ramp and keep the gun clean it will not have any problems and the company has upgraded productions standards many times since they first hit the market. Heck look at how many loves Glocks and they are plastic! I don't like Glocks for many reasons and the plastic frames are not the only reason.

Heck, I even own a couple of plastic AR-15 now and have run a few hundred rounds through both of them with no failures

My current inventory includes 11 pistols, 19 rifles 3 M16A1 fully automatic military rifles and I am building AR's for fun all the time with my small milling shop, in addition to being a FFL/SOT holder that has a partner that we manufacture suppressors and sell to military as well as law enforcement. I didn't actually own an AR until my wife bought one for Christmas, but being well versed in the M16 rifles the AR is pretty much a given.

Like I said, I would not hesitate to use the HP if needed in a bad situation.

But what is nice, there are a lot of different types of guns on the market so everybody has the ability to make a choice that works for them.

thumpar

Admiral
I would not compare Hi-Point and Jimenez. Jimenez is true junk. I had the HP and a Glock and the Glock was the one to jam with the same ammo in both. I had a TCP and had some stovepipes with it. Now I carry a LCP daily and a Smith 9mm when I have the clothing to cover it.

thumpar

Admiral
I have a friend with around 30 full auto firearms. Anything from 9mm glock to belt fed. You have to know him pretty well to visit his house.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
The Hi Point C9 9 mm pistol is quite a lot of gun for the price (under $200). I didn't see those kind of prices when I was in the biz, back in '77 to '84. Besides, the Czechs are known to make decent firearms.

Last edited:

bigdee

Commander
Thanks for replies. The gun satisfies my purpose which is home defense only. 200 shots proves to me it will go bang every time I pull the trigger. In my limited experience with handguns I have seen much more expensive guns fail in their the first time out. It also is an American success story of a past TV repairman who designed an affordable gun, offered a lifetime warranty and created jobs here in the U.S.