LT fan.........

WIMUSKY

Staff member
My laptop's fan doesn't appear to ever turn off. I keep my LT on overnight with the lid down and the battery is dead in the morning. This just started happening. I changed from sleep to hibernate mode thinking that may be the problem, until I heard the fan running. When I started it this a.m., fan came on instantly and hasn't shut off. What gives?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
When mine does that, i restart. Im assuming it all the crap my company puts on there and locks up working in tandem.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A restart might help, Musky. Sleep and hibernate don't really shut off the LT. They are more like a "semi-off" when some functions are stopped like hard drives, but the CPU is still processing waiting for you to wake it up.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yep, I didn't want it too completely shutdown....... Last nite after I knew the fan wasn't going to quit, I completely shut the LT down... And restarted it this a.m.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
When I get the fan running high speed and noisy, I pull up the task manager and kill the Rundll32.exe process that consumes so much resources and causes things to really heat up.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I'm not seeing that .exe At least the fan is super quiet...... Using WIN10

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I'm not seeing that .exe At least the fan is super quiet...... Using WIN10

Next time the fan starts running or speeding up, check the task manager to see what is consuming a lot of resources and causing things to heat up, the reason the fan goes crazy is because the CPU is getting hot.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Next time the fan starts running or speeding up, check the task manager to see what is consuming a lot of resources and causing things to heat up, the reason the fan goes crazy is because the CPU is getting hot.

There was some money exchanger running out there that was taking a bunch of resources. I shut it down and the fan quieted after a while.

Print Filter Pipeline Host is taking 32% of the CPU. I'm guessing I need that to print? Not sure why so much CPU tho... Kinda sounds ridiculous...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Just a question? Do you used canned air on your laptop vents and keep them blown clear? My first thought is the fan is cooling and there might be some dust bunnies in there then I look at software.

NYBo

Admiral
Just a question? Do you used canned air on your laptop vents and keep them blown clear? My first thought is the fan is cooling and there might be some dust bunnies in there then I look at software.

^^^This is where to start. The innards of a laptop are very crowded and it doesn't take much dust to cause problems.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Not really, but it did cross my mind. Especially since we have a husky that sheds non stop. Maybe the innards are full of hair...:facepalm: I'll find a can now. Fan is still running.......

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don't forget that the weight of your lappy will double in 8 years from dust mites collecting. :doh:

It doesn't take long for "stuff" to clog the heat sink, even on new LT's. Some of the Dells have a removable access panel to do a better job blowing out the crud and some take too much tearing apart to get to the fan and heat sink.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Normally if I can't get it to calm down by blowing it out, I will just get a new fan for it, pop the bottom and change them out, it does not take much dust to make a laptop be real noisy, my wife's Dell is killing me right now, that darn thing sounds like a F16 fighter taking off every time she is working on it!

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
It's quiet, just never seems to shut off. HP makes it difficult to clean. And changing the fan you have to practically completely disassemble the LT, then you get to rebuild it.....

thumpar

Admiral
I have run into lots of them that do that. I take it apart and find a ton of stuff over the heat sink. Most of the time canned air can't get it out from the outside and it has to come apart.