Win7 Home workgroup help?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Anyone able to walk me thru this? Been try to connect all afternoon. Keep getting a can't join error on one computer.

NYBo

Admiral
Sounds like a firewall problem. On the problem computer, make sure the network is not designated as a public network.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Both are set to Home, not public. Seams I'm showing 2 network connections. One says Local connection 2.
At one time I was able to connect to one from the other but not back the other way. The one I'm having the problem with has a drive C and a drive E., I could access E but not C. That said I didn't have permissions. Anyways the problem one when I try to join group it asks for a password. I put that in and , enter, and I then get Windows cannot set up a home group on this computer.

NYBo

Admiral
I share various drives on my network without using Homegroup at all. That might be a better way to go. Make sure both computers are part of the same workgroup, make the drives or folders in question shareable, and map the drives/folders on the other computer.

southkogs

Staff member
Not sure I know the answer at all, but I'm a little confused on the particulars: You have Windows machine that has two drives (or partitions) C and E on that physical machine. You boot into the E drive, but cannot access the C drive. Am I following correctly?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Thanks guys, was up till 4:30am fooling with this and I've finally got it, somehow. Took everything off both computers and started over again fresh. All I can relate to is that this has really changed since I last did it with XP and a Linux machine. Seams even the router set-up has changed.

To clarify, machine 1 is Win7 with one physical drive. Drive C. Machine 2 is Win7 with two physical drives, C and E. OS is on C.

Here's the reason for the network. Machine 1 is my everyday use machine,. Machine 2 is an old one that has all my iTunes on it. The iTunes program is on C and all files are on E. When I got the new computer I tried moving iTunes to it which didn't work. So the thought was to network the 2 together which also doesn't seem to work. I can find the iTunes program and files but I can't open any thru the network.

So all this time and work and I can't do what I wanted to do.

thumpar

Admiral
I just make all my computers part of a "work" network and have the same username and password on them all.