Ear protection?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Looking to upgrade my ear protection. There is a dizzying array of noise canceling ear muffs along with a dizzying array of prices. Has anyone waded all through this before and come away with a durable, effective, affordable set of earmuffs?

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
For what kind of activity? I have tried about 3 different ones and all seem to work the same.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
For what kind of activity? I have tried about 3 different ones and all seem to work the same.

Well, basically high decibel shooting in an indoor environment, although there would be other less taxing uses. Right now, my hearing protection is with bargain basement muffs that are 30+ years old. BUT as I am approaching being OLD, and with no significant hearing issues to date, I am more sensitive to keeping it that way.

Last edited:

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have had good luck with 3m brand and some older ones I got from matco tools about 10 years ago. Held up with a 50 bmg indoors next to the wall. It doesn't get much louder than that.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Hard to imagine a noise cancelling headphone working for shooting. Do they really sells those that claim this?

Noise cancelling headphones likely can't react fast enough to cancel a noise like what a gun would make.

Last edited:

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I never read what they claim to be used for, I just know that they work well when shooting even indoors.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Well something like Bose noise cancelling headphones won't actively cancel a gunshot. They can't react fast enough.

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I work in a very loud lab for a door hardware co. Got a set of over the ear fm radio headphones from Amazon for about $60.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The engineers that work in our labs, that are full of fans, use Bose noise cancelling head phones but they won't do any better than plain old ear muffs for shooting.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
This article is interesting as the DB rating of ear protection differs as does the DB produced by different caliber weapons.

http://www.asha.org/public/hearing/Recreational-Firearm-Noise-Exposure/

A long constant blast like you get when watching the top fuelers blast by the stands, I would use both ear plugs and ear muffs. The crack from a small/large caliber rifle/pistol I found was best handled by a good quality ear muff style- the more padding around the ear the better, older styles had not as much padding or the material cracked and was annoying.

Volphin

Lieutenant
I used to work in commercial aviation maintaining ground GPUs and other equipment. Google Noisebuster ear protection. They are simply the best.

southkogs

Staff member
I have to look at the set that I have at home. They work fine ... but I got 'em cheap and don't know off the top of my head who makes 'em. They work great on the range.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Boom, as it looks, you figured nrr is what you're after. Looks like you found a good pair. The only other thing with muffs is to be sure your glasses don't make a gap in the foam, essentially reducing the effectiveness of the muffs.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Boom, as it looks, you figured nrr is what you're after. Looks like you found a good pair. The only other thing with muffs is to be sure your glasses don't make a gap in the foam, essentially reducing the effectiveness of the muffs.

howju know that I wore glasses? :D

thumpar

Admiral
I prefer the foamies. The muff type get in the way when I am firing a rifle. Make sure you get good ones that are soft and fit well.