Rim Damage; What Caused It?

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Howdy. Just last Saturday the admiral noticed this on her '08 GS 350 with 78k miles. All four rims display it. She recently had some work done (brakes, balancing) at the shop we've always used. At first I thought maybe they caused it, but after looking at the pics I don't think so. Lexi aren't supposed to do this kinda stuff. If the shop did cause it we'll have a not so pleasant conversation about how they treated her when she took it back in for a look. What do y'all think happened here?

Attachments

• photo241128.jpeg
    photo241128.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Lexus factory wheels were painted, however many dealers worked with a list of 3rd party chrome platers to get chrome plated lexus / toyota wheels

Cal Chrome was one of the 3rd party platers.

https://www.calchrome.com/Lexus

I know of quite a few SC's GX's and GS's with pealing chrome down here in the Tampa area.

the cause is simply low quality prep in the chroming operation.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Agree with Scott. I have a GS300 and I had my wheels plated. They don't come that way stock. Fortunately, after 11 years and 185K miles, they still look good.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That was just a bad plating job, the person that worked on it had nothing to do with the plating peeling off of it.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Thanks guys. What about powder coating? Not sure how much longer she'll keep it so $1k+ worth of rims doesn't make sense.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Go to a tire shop and see if they will do a chrome exchange. They should be able to get the exact wheels. You can also ask your Lexus dealer who does chrome exchanges in your area.

southkogs

Staff member
Short term just to make it look nice, look at Plastidip. Kind of rattle can powder coating. The stuff is surprisingly good for the short term - and removable.

Volphin

Lieutenant
FWIW, I just scored 4 wheels on the flea bay for $375 brand new for an Acura TL. Mine weren't peeling, but they were freaking square. ;)
Might check there.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
FWIW, I just scored 4 wheels on the flea bay for $375 brand new for an Acura TL. Mine weren't peeling, but they were freaking square. ;)
Might check there.

Good for you, man it is so difficult, I always go shopping locally, but when looking for something and it is 25% more locally then on the bay, It is hard to buy locally!

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Get some that have never been chromed and have it done right.... Or accept the OEM paint.