Chevy Silverado Fuel Pump Replacement-Reccomendation

ehenry

Commander
Had to replace the fuel pump on my son's pickup today. After watching several You Tube videos and talking to some friends that have done it several different ways, I did it via the 'Tilted Bed' method. It really wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It took about 2 hours. So if any of you Iboaters out there ever have to do this I highly recommend this method.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I had to do one in Dec on a '99 and I just took it into a shop.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This sounds a lot easier than what I went through on my Cherokee. No bed to tilt and of course the fuel pump died right after the tank was filled. :facepalm:

boatman37

Lieutenant
i had a 1996 that needed a new pump. it had a bedliner in it. i crawled underneath and dropped the tank and noticed some cuts in the bed floor just above the tank. seems the PO had cut a 'flap' in the bed to bend it up out of the way to access the pump. i already had the tank out but had i known there was an access door i could have had a much easier time

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I like it. Found a video and will probably do it that way too when the time comes. How many miles on the fuel pump before it failed?

boatman37

Lieutenant
on mine? or the OP's? mine if i remember correctly had about 120,000 but it had obviously been replaced before. it had about 170,000 when i got rid of it and still had the pump in it i installed. but i used a brand new GM pump, not aftermarket

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The OP's. No way I would replace it like yours got replaced. That was literally a "hack" job in multiple ways.

ehenry

Commander
BruceB, we bought the truck new and that day it had 287k miles on it. I"d say we got our moneys worth out of it.

Ga_boater, I'm in the same boot as you as far as my vehicle goes. I drive a 2006 trailblazer and the fuel gauge has quit working and guess what....its part of the fuel pump assembly. So, until the fuel pump pukes or starts giving me problems with pumping fuel I set the trip meter to zero at every fill up and fill up at 280 miles.

Last edited:

boatman37

Lieutenant
well if you had saw the truck the cut out bed floor was the least of my worries...lol. i bought it on a whim after seeing it in the back of a new car dealership. it had been rolled on its side and the whole right side was banged and scraped. it ran like new though. i just wanted something to pull my trailer with so i wasn't at all bothered by the cut in the bed. i paid about $3000 for it...lol

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
BruceB, we bought the truck new and that day it had 287k miles on it. I"d say we got our moneys worth out of it.
My 1999 Silverado has 85K on it. Was just wondering if it's something that should just be changed as preventative maintenance.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
My 93 Jeep grand Cherokee pump went out. I carefully cut the carpet, Cut a neat clean hole for the assembly to lift out. Made a round plate and bedded/screwed it down and laid the carpet back down. You couldn't even tell it was done that way. Saved a lot of time pulling the tank. Yeah maby not the correct way, but Done in such a way, it was sealed and not dangerous as far as exhaust fumes getting in or anything. Some cars have access plates installed from factory, so I figure why not?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Some cars have access plates installed from factory, so I figure why not?
I can understand that. Just not a pickup bed.

I replaced the fuel pump in a Chevy Blazer. Pumped all the fuel out and the tank came down super easy.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
My 1999 Silverado has 85K on it. Was just wondering if it's something that should just be changed as preventative maintenance.

My 2000 Tahoe went out right around that mark. My BIL 2000 Silverado about the same.