A new beginner AR

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I just ordered my first ever AR. I just noticed that it does not come with a rear sight. What are my economical options. I see it has a rail to accommodate a wide variety of possibilities.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Boom, you have a couple of options available to you, you can get carry handle, which includes rear sight and pick up a front sight. Before I offer more, I would like to see a complete profile of the gun you purchased, that way I know what you have on the front side.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Boom, you have a couple of options available to you, you can get carry handle, which includes rear sight and pick up a front sight. Before I offer more, I would like to see a complete profile of the gun you purchased, that way I know what you have on the front side.

It does have a front sight arch. I tried to post a link to the ad but iboats didn't allow it. I'll PM it to you.

I PM'd the ad to you, MT. Be sure to look at all the reviews. Not a soft or negative one amongst them.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Boom, If that is a Del Ton Sport, you have the FSB already installed, I looked them up all you have to do is pick up a sight to put on the rear, once you have that one it, then you will have to adjust the rear, left or right, and the FSB pin up or down to get it sighted in.

As far as still having connections to Vancouver, my sister and her husband still live in Vancouver and most of my wife's family live in Portland, in fact we may be coming back for a small amount of business in the next couple of weeks.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
....... in fact we may be coming back for a small amount of business in the next couple of weeks......

Well be sure to give me a shout out. We've missed other opportunities.

I might as well just pick up a handle with sight? A quick google showed one on ebay for $17.00. Later I could try an optic?

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well be sure to give me a shout out. We've missed other opportunities.

I might as well just pick up a handle with sight? A quick google showed one on ebay for $17.00. Later I could try an optic?

Boom, I know we have, and I sure don't want to, as the landscape has changed, the time will be right in the near future..

The handles are nice, I have a set of fold downs that I purchased that I really like, and on my second one, I have a handle and a traditional A2 front sight,

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I ordered that handle/rear sight. It should be here about the time I get the rifle. Are there in 'best' places' to look for ammo, on the internet. I do know that sometimes Sportsman's Guide has some pretty decent looking deals but I have not looked around enough to know if they are the best ones. I can also check out the local gun shows but since **ama, the usual ammo dealers stocks seem to be pretty slim.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Keep an eye out at Walmart, I have got some good deals there in the last couple of months, and for god's sake, don't buy steel cased ammo, it might cycle with no problems, but a lot of guns will not cycle it correctly and you will end up with jams, fail to ejects and other various problems because the steel cases don't expand the way brass does. currently I have almost 10,000 rounds of brass ammo, and will be cutting about a third of them once I shoot it for my .300 blackout, then I will be reloading both, that way I can cut down on cost.

Most of the ammo I have purchased has been either PMC brand or Remington American Eagle brand. They both cycle perfectly in my 5.56/.223

Also be aware, if your gun says only .223 on the barrel, you don't want to purchase 5.56 ammo for it, the pressures are higher in the 5.56 NATO round than they are in the .223, now if your gun is marked 5.56 NATO, you can shoot both of the rounds with no problem, but again, if marked only for .223 then just get .223 ammo and you won't have any problems.

Is this the gun that you bought?

http://www.del-ton.com/DT_Sport_p/dtsport.htm

If so, it looks like it is rated for the 5.56 round

Last edited:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Is this the gun that you bought?

http://www.del-ton.com/DT_Sport_p/dtsport.htm

If so, it looks like it is rated for the 5.56 round

That is the one 'ceptain that I only paid $535.79 shipped. Here are the specs.
  • Caliber: 5.56 NATO / .223 Remington?
  • Action: Semi-automatic
  • Capacity: 30
  • Barrel length: 16"
  • Barrel material: 4140 steel
  • Barrel twist: 1:9"
  • Stock: 6-position M4, reinforced fiber
  • Upper receiver: Mil.-spec forged 7075 T6 aluminum, A3 flat top with white T marks
  • Lower receiver: Mil.-spec forged 7075 T6 aluminum
  • Handguard: Carbine length, aluminum delta ring, single heat shield
  • Flash hider: A2
  • Overall length: 36.375" extended, 32.625" collapsed
  • Overall weight: 5.8 lbs
  • Comes with a 30 round Magazine!
Thanks for the heads up on the steel case. I was going to ask you about that.

Odd that you were able to post a live link. I tried that earlier and iboats truncated it so it would not open the page.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I just posted the direct link from their website, did you buy it from them, or did you purchase from one of their vendors? I know that Iboats will edit or truncate links from companies that compete with them, like the big "C" sportings good store, that link will not be posted, but I am able to post links from the local sporting goods store that we have here in Montana.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I just posted the direct link from their website, did you buy it from them, or did you purchase from one of their vendors? I know that Iboats will edit or truncate links from companies that compete with them, like the big "C" sportings good store, that link will not be posted, but I am able to post links from the local sporting goods store that we have here in Montana.

No, I bought it thru Sportsman's Guide. I included a link in my PM to you. I think you hit the nail on the head because Sportsman's Guide sells a broad selection of merchandise, most likely including some boating stuff.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
No, I bought it thru Sportsman's Guide. I included a link in my PM to you. I think you hit the nail on the head because Sportsman's Guide sells a broad selection of merchandise, most likely including some boating stuff.

That is exactly what happened, when you sent me the link in the PM, I could not click on it, so I looked the gun up based on the logo on the side of it, I use Sportsman every once in the while, but I have found them to be low on inventory quite often, you will have to come over to my place and we can play rip city in the front yard, it will be fun! Bring an upper and lower and a barrel and we can build you another gun!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
That is exactly what happened, when you sent me the link in the PM, I could not click on it, so I looked the gun up based on the logo on the side of it, I use Sportsman every once in the while, but I have found them to be low on inventory quite often, you will have to come over to my place and we can play rip city in the front yard, it will be fun! Bring an upper and lower and a barrel and we can build you another gun!

Hmmmm! when I pasted the link in the PM it looked good so I thought it would work. When I originally pasted it in the forum 'reply' box it was truncated. I'll send you the link via email.

The last time I was out your way, I hit a deer at 70 mph on the interstate, in the dark of night, in my '94 Suburban. :mad-new:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Boom, seem you have a flat top setup. And I perfect that style myself because of all the available options you can install. It is a typical picatinny flat top. So look for accessories for a picatinny flat top AR upper receiver. I have a few and one has a selectable Holographic sight and the other has a very high quality 3 X 9 X 40mm Burris scope. So I think you've done okay. :thumb:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Boom, seem you have a flat top setup. And I perfect that style myself because of all the available options you can install. It is a typical picatinny flat top. So look for accessories for a picatinny flat top AR upper receiver. I have a few and one has a selectable Holographic sight and the other has a very high quality 3 X 9 X 40mm Burris scope. So I think you've done okay. :thumb:

Knowing little about them, I think I just got lucky. :peace:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Knowing little about them, I think I just got lucky. :peace:

Yea the only problem I see is you will love shooting it and therefore you will go through ammo like candy. :facepalm:

Search the net for ammo sells and buy them in case lots to save. JMHO!

thumpar

Admiral
I like the Matech flip up rear sight over the handle because you can use a red dot optic with them still. I have an EOtech on mine but have used the Primary arms red dot. They are not that expensive and work great.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
What is going to be the most ideal bullet weight for a 16" barrel with 1:9" twist? Looking around I see most commonly 55 gr and 62 grain.

thumpar

Admiral
You will find 55gr to be the most common. 62gr is usually green tip AP and more expensive. I have shot 45gr varmint grenades in my 1 in 9 and my buddy's 1 in 8 just fine.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Googling the subject of bulk ammo, steel case is by farrrrrrrrr the most economical. MT advises against it but are there any other opinions for plinking. I mean there is a huge difference in price and if you are not going to reload.....

This what they say about it:
Wolf Military Classic ammunition features a Mil-Spec design delivering reliable functioning along with a polymer coating to ensure smooth feeding and extraction. This technique results in high quality, yet inexpensive ammunition perfect for the high volume shooter.

Last edited: