Jasper remanufactured engines, thoughts?

southkogs

Staff member
I've known of Jasper for quite some time, but have no experience with engines rebuilt by them (at least that I know of). I'm looking at a "kid" car to replace our Mountaineer that just - finally - croaked. And I've run across an older Pontiac in very good shape at a reasonable price. Part of the reason it's in such good shape is the engine was replaced not too long ago with a Jasper reman.

Any "Jasper" red flags out there?

eavega

Lieutenant
I had a Jasper reman engine put in my 2006 Mazda 3 after the factory original engine threw a rod in 2010. I never had a problem with the engine. It ran great and needed nothing for the three additional years I kept the car. When I traded in the Mazda for my current 2013 Silverado, I still got pretty much full trade-in value for it. If I recall, the Jasper engine came with a 3 yr warranty which I was able to transfer to the new owner (at least the 4 months remaining on the warranty).

-E

alldodge

Staff member
I've heard good and bad, but the bad in my experience has been due to lack of quality control. That said, if you get one and it's been running for a while without issue, you should not have unforeseen issues later.

robert graham

Admiral
I'm having a Jasper remanufactured transmission installed in my Roadmaster this week....3 year warranty....my mechanic speaks very well of Jasper and recommended it highly....that's all I know...guess we'll be finding out!....

bigdee

Commander
My experience has been ANY re manufactured engine is a crap shoot right out of the box. Since yours is running fine it has passed the test of time.

southkogs

Staff member
Cool - I'm familiar with the car (know the seller) and it's been on the road with the Jasper engine for a little while. I don't know if we'll pull the trigger or not, but wanted some opinions on the engines.

Thanks y'all.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
I've been running a Jasper re-man long block in my boat for the last 10 years. Its a GM 350. No issues and I run it fairly hard. Skiing, boarding tube'n. All usually with a full complement of passengers.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I remember them from the late 90s and early 2000s. What I remember about them is not good at all. The mechanics at my uncle's shop would recommend a used junk yard engine over a jasper. I put jasper engines and aamco transmissions in the same group.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I remember them from the late 90s and early 2000s. What I remember about them is not good at all. The mechanics at my uncle's shop would recommend a used junk yard engine over a jasper. I put jasper engines and aamco transmissions in the same group.

They have changed a lot for the better since the late 90's, I have installed 2 of them in the last 5 years and they are both still going strong, one of them has put over 100k miles on it since 2010 and no smoking no problems at all.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
That's good to hear. I know car quality has come a long way too. Heck, my daily driver is a hyundai. In 1996 I'd never thought I'd every drive a hyundai every day. I guess is only right to reason these rebuild companies have stepped up their quality to.

excalibur1031

Seaman Apprentice
Personally, I have installed countless Jasper engines and transmissions. I am an ASE Certified Master technician and I seem to be installing quite a few units each year. My experience is that I've never had an engine or transmission in any vehicle I've placed one in, fail. Now, as far as oil leaks, I can count on one hand, units I've replaced because of leaks. I don't know the reason for the leaks, but Jasper was very prompt for replacing the units and paid all labor associated with changing the units out. I, as a tech also was paid full time instead of warranty time, meaning that Jasper wasn't skimping on paying out the labor claims either.

I did have the opportunity to visit their remanufacturing facilities in Indiana. They paid to fly a group of us there, cover all our expenses to visit. They process quite a large amount of units each and every day and their processes seem to be top notch. Everyone from the head of the company to the builders wore white shirts, traditional and classy, just trying to keep everyone feeling like they're on the same level. Talking to the workers there, they were taken care of well and the amount of work it takes to reman these units is phenomenal!

I do know, that when Jasper remans a unit, they will make all the updates to an engine or trans that would have been necessary to correct any known manufacturing problems, which being the case, their units come out of the factory better than when it was built new because the problems have already been addressed.

Anyways, just my 2 cents....

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I can corroborate the above post. It's been that way a long time. I toured the plant in Jasper, Indiana as a newspaper photographer 30 years ago and it was same then, too.

southkogs

Staff member
Forgot to circle back around to this: We grabbed the car. It's in great shape ... good mileage, clean and the PO did a great job taking care of it.

renovation

Recruit
always like that year of Firebird . as you were speaking on jasper motors -they will stand behind there workmanship ! seen a lot of them go in cars over the years and only can remember one being a dud ! that we blambed on the installer that was hired -didn't tell the jasper rep. that do. 2 days later the installer was let go by the company after only 2 weeks ~

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Forgot to circle back around to this: We grabbed the car. It's in great shape ... good mileage, clean and the PO did a great job taking care of it.

Sorry, that is not a Firebird, that is a Chevy Malibu with a new nose, not a bad looking car, but not a Firebird!

:facepalm:

robert graham

Admiral
Also, their web site says that Jasper is 100% employee owned and operated, so the folks should show a special interest in their work....I've got a couple of 1000 mile rounds trips towing the boat to Florida and back on my Jasper transmission without incident....so far, so good! $2842 of the turn key job seemed a bit pricey but the transmission is remanufactured, not just new clutches, etc....