Hot Tub Pump tries to start, then shuts down after 3 seconds

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
I was hoping to breath some new life into this topic (I left the hot tub alone since boating season started). The problem was that on Pump 1, when I would try to turn it on, I would hear a loud buzzing sound (almost like it was frozen) for 3 seconds, it would stop, and the pump one filter setting would turn on (setting that only circulates the water). FYI- Pump two just has one setting- on. I switched the pumps at the circuit board and when I would turn on pump two (which was actually pump one) it worked fine. Last week, pump one started working as it used to, but it doesn't circulate any longer. Weird?!? I assume this will cause issues when winter comes?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
If the pump works on each speed when connected to a different power source, or each speed will work at times, but never going from one speed to the other, then check the switch. I assume there's an air switch that is activated by pushing a button at the tub, this switch can malfunction when switching between speeds.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
thank you. Do you know if the switch is inside the top side control panel? I have a new one I could try out...

thumpar

Admiral
If it is digital it won't have an air switch. I had a problem with the blower in one of my tubs. Turned out the brushes in the motor burned up and took out a diode on the board with it. $10 fix.