Boy, did I just score!! Ye Ha!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have been looking for a small bench top mill for over a month now for milling AR receivers, I was about to give up and just ordered a new heavy duty drill press last night and told my wife, now watch one will show up on Craigslist today! Well low and behold, sure enough one did, but in addition to the mill the guy also has a lathe that he was selling, they were a package deal! for just about $100 bucks more than I was going to pay for the drill press by itself, so I bought it! and canceled the order on the drill press!

Attachments

• photo237885.jpg
    photo237885.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo237886.jpg
    photo237886.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo237887.jpg
    photo237887.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 0

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Way to go MT, now how you going to find time to finish all those boats you've collected? You guys and your shops make me very jealous! All I have is an old 1.5 car garage that has 1 120v, 20 amp circuit going out to it. Oh yeah and no heat.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Bonz, I actually built my shop, I can work on cars in the front and then I have a separate room in the back, that I have used for a Dark room, also used it for a glass grinding shop when I used to make viewing screens for antique cameras and now it is going to be for working on guns, I am actually down to 2 aluminum boats now and the Porta Bote for the camper. I will finish the one Mirrocraft up I have this summer and then sell the aluminum fishing boat.

I know what you mean about heat, I disconnected the heaters I had in the shop, Now, I have reinstall the insulation and hook the heaters back up if I can find the darn thermostat!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Nice find there MT. I do own a nice Jet Lathe and a very nice Jet floor model drill press. So with a precision cross-slide vice, I can basically make near about everything I need. I have a 9 X 20 Jet metal lathe and a Grizzle Wood lathe. So I am lathed up. A nice milling setup would still be interesting. Again good find. Now you have to post pre and post AR lowers. :thumb:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Nice find MT. I am Jealous. I have tried to do some light milling on my old Japanese floor drill press. I chattered through the jobs and finished them off with a file but there is no substitute.

The last thing I did was to make a hood release handle, for my Explorer, out of a stainless steel cabinet pull knob. It was harder than the hubs of he**. I never could get it threaded right for the rod. I kept snapping taps off. So finally I just over drilled it and used JB Weld.

Last edited:

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Great score MT!! Let me know when your tooling investment surpasses the machine cost. Once you get hooked.............er.......a.............started it shouldn't take long.;);) LOL

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Great score MT!! Let me know when your tooling investment surpasses the machine cost. Once you get hooked.............er.......a.............started it shouldn't take long.;);) LOL

LT, I got a bucket load of tooling with this machine as well as the Lathe, there was over a grand worth of tooling included with each machine, the only thing I did pick up was a 20 piece end mill set from HF last night while I was in Missoula, but I am absolutely thrilled, it is a Grizzly G8669 that was customized and tuned by a guy that retired from a machine shop. So it really was the buy of the decade!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
LT, I got a bucket load of tooling with this machine as well as the Lathe, there was over a grand worth of tooling included with each machine, the only thing I did pick up was a 20 piece end mill set from HF last night while I was in Missoula, but I am absolutely thrilled, it is a Grizzly G8669 that was customized and tuned by a guy that retired from a machine shop. So it really was the buy of the decade!

MT are you sue that isn't a G8689 model? I can't find a G8669 model anywhere. And Grizzly usually has replacement parts for all their models of power tools. Just wondering.

I actually placed an order with Grizzly yesterdays for new tires for my G0513 17" 2HP Band Saw and some other parts. I've had that band saw for years now and finally the tire rubber on the wheels has deteriorated.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Sorry GM, yes it is a 8689, oops, got to excited, took me two days of traveling to pick it up, guess my brain is mush after driving 600 miles round trip to pick it up!

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
That tooling is a score in itself!!! After spending 20 plus years as a job shop machinest you learn the value of of quality tooling and a ridged set up.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That tooling is a score in itself!!! After spending 20 plus years as a job shop machinest you learn the value of of quality tooling and a ridged set up.

That is the biggest reason I was willing to travel to purchase this one, I know the value of tooling and then with both of the machines being modified and trued by a machinist, I knew they were not a bad deal, my Dad spent the last 10 years of his life working for a machine shop, and I learned a lot by visiting there over the years, when I spied it on CL I knew what I had found! I got both machines, the mill and the lathe and all of the tooling for less than a grand, so I figure I came out pretty good.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
That's outstanding!! I still have access to a well outfitted shop with both conventional and CNC equipment. So I can have all the fun without the up front cost.