Reloading presses for pistol

thumpar

Admiral
The bullet seating die can kind of crimp as it seats the bullet. Usually a crimp die is more for semi auto rifle bullets so they don't move in the brass with the recoil of the gun. I still don't even crimp .223 on my plinking ammo.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
The bullet seating die can kind of crimp as it seats the bullet. Usually a crimp die is more for semi auto rifle bullets so they don't move in the brass with the recoil of the gun. I still don't even crimp .223 on my plinking ammo.

My reloading experience has been mainly restricted to pistol calibers so I readily admit I don't know jack about rifle loading. Most likely all reloading again will be limited to pistol.

Long ago I did have a chance to watch resizing from 30.06 to 25.06 for my brother-in-laws varmint rifle. That was interesting.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
My reloading experience has been mainly restricted to pistol calibers so I readily admit I don't know jack about rifle loading. Most likely all reloading again will be limited to pistol.

Long ago I did have a chance to watch resizing from 30.06 to 25.06 for my brother-in-laws varmint rifle. That was interesting.

bonz_d, while both pistol and rifle go through the basic same steps, there are some differences, rifle reload is by far a lot harder. First, if you don't lube the body of the rifle brass, you are going to pull off the rim...believe it! For pistol, I use Carbide dies. Second, rifle take a lot more effort to resize the brass back to factory specs. That is unless the rifle brass is a basic straight wall design. AND after a very few reloads on rifle brass, the cases stretch and will need trimmed. Third, you don't flair the mouth of rifle brass to start a bullet. You have to do that for pistol or you will crush the case.

I use a single stage RCBS Rocker Chucker press, but when I load pistol cases, I like the idea of seeing all the brass sitting in the case tray so I can may sure every case has the exact same amount of powder and no double charges or missed power loads. So using either a Little Dandy powder drop or home-made scoops, it works really quickly. Once I verify ever round is charged with powder, I place a bullet on top and go to the seating effort. Easy Peasy.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I am getting ready to build a .300 AAC blackout AR, which is a .223 cartridge cut off at the shoulder and then sized down to a 30 caliber bullet size, a lot of guys are actually building AR pistols based on this caliber, they say it is a great home defense gun because you can load sub-sonic rounds for it, that won't go through walls.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
I am getting ready to built a .300 AAC blackout AR, which is a .223 cartridge cut off at the should and then sized down to a 30 caliber bullet size, a lot of guys are actually building AR pistols based on this caliber, they say it is a great home defense gun because you can load sub-sonic rounds for it, that won't go through walls.
It is also a good caliber to suppress since it is sub sonic. I have been wanting to build an upper in 300 BLK.

Rifle brass needs a lot more trimming than pistol brass. I have one of these for .223. https://littlecrowgunworks.com/product/worlds-finest-trimmer-wft/ It makes quick work of it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That little .223 cartridge is used in many wildcat rounds. The 7mm TCU is a .223, necked up to a 7mm bullet. An amazingly accurate round and great for hunting deer size game. I shoot that round out of a Thompson Contender pistol.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Sorry I didn't mean to mislead, Don't know jack", as I have done some rifle reloading and I do understand the differences between pistol and rifle needs. I hope I know enough to do it safely but am not into it enough to start making wildcat cartridges. To me that is a whole different game. Rifles there are unlimited reloads that can be accomplished in the same caliber from bullet and powder selection, bullet seating depth, OAL, head spacing. Guess I just never got into rifles the way I did with hand guns.

Back then I started getting interested in timed combat shooting with hand guns until I started to realize the amount of money the real competitive shooters had invested in their pistols. Seen some really tricked out guns back then.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
bonz_d, yes seem in every hobby challenge there are those that take I to the next level and live and breathe that champion level with whatever it take to win attitude. So I rarely ever get that involved. I usually do things for the fun of it or to my satisfaction. Neither are the top best of any level. I am not interested to be top champion and therefore just do things at my level. I have been awarded top awards of my career field but I really wasn't trying for such awards. They just happened. So that is different. But I do completely understand what you are saying. JMHO