Reloading presses for pistol

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Many have participated in my other gun topic and I appreciate feedback. Now for the next question. Reloading presses.

Long ago I used to reload for pistol calibers and enjoyed it tremendously. Back then I did it the hard and long way with a single stage press, dippers & scale. So thinking that when I get back into shooting I'll probably start reloading again too. This time thinking either a turret press or a progressive press and have been looking at the Lee stuff. The other makes are much above the budget I'm looking to spend, esp. the Dillon stuff. Anyone here have experience with any of the Lee presses?

From what I've finding the cost of the Classic Turret is about equal to the cost of the T1000 for initial set up at approx.. $200.00. The Classic Turret frame is a bit larger and heavier but I don't see myself loading rifle shells any time soon.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Bonz, I am currently researching the topic as well, I used to use RCBS, but I think with technology advancing, there may be some better alternatives out there, I will be interested in seeing what others have to say.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
So far I've watched hours of youtube videos the past few weeks and think I've become aware of the idiosyncrasies that the Lee progressive presses have and how to overcome them. Also watched a neat vid on the Lee Auto drum measure.

I do know that I don't want to go with a single stage press again and the Lee presses seem to be a great value for the money. The Lee LoadMaster and the Hornaday Lock-n-Load AP progressive press seems to be the next step up but I think it's more than I'd need.

Been watching the used stuff on ebay and from what I'm seeing is there isn't much money to be saved by buying used. I've a couple of supplier sites saved if you'd like them MT.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
I have a Hornady projector with a upgraded powder drop that I have been using for years. It works well loading 45s and 9mm. The old projector is just like the new Lock and Load, except it has screw in dies instead of the die lock and load system. I would advise to get a powder cop with such a press loading at higher volumes.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to say I've honestly have loaded well over 500,000 rounds and I still use a single stage RCBS Rock Chucker press myself. For general pistol plinking shooting, I mold my own bullets and powder drop using either a Little Dandy Powder Drop, OR, I make dippers for the exact amounts of whatever powders I use. Then I can size, de-prime and install new primers using a hand-held priming tool. And then I flair the mouths for the powder and bullet seating. And using a dipper or the Little Dandy powder drop I can load medium loads without worry. Been doing that for decades now. May seem slow, but I have it down to a really efficient operation. Of course a progressive loader would drop out a round for every pull of the handle, but I have lots of time and can enjoy the procedures along the way. And I use nothing but carbide dies for any pistol loading. Really makes a huge difference. No need to lube the cases.

If I ever get into shoot religiously again, I will look at the Dillon stuff. But honestly, you really have to be shooting a lot to make that pay off. I have very few Lee items and mostly buy everything RCBS. I've never had any issues with RCBS in all the years I've been loading (over 40 years easily). I also buy a lot of RCBS AND Lyman bullet molds because they both are solid steel machined molds. Lee uses Aluminum. I have used Lee bullet molds, but I like the RCBS and Lyman bullet mold for their proven designs, precision matting and design offerings. I also use a Lyman seizer/lubricator as well with either RCBS or Lyman H and I dies. Works for me.

I hate to even think how much I have invested in reloading over the years. But if you buy quality tools, they last a life time without fail. I even built a dedicated work bench in my shop just for reloading. JMHO!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
GM, I am in the process as I type this of setting up a dedicated bench in my shop for gun stuff, which will include reloading as well as milling AR lowers, I just about have it done, now i have to wait until the weather clears up to run the internet out there, which will be nice to have that reference right there when working on guns. My wife is getting tired of all the gun stuff being in the house, she is not real fond of the smell of gun oil! LOL

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Long ago I 1st started on a RCBS Rock Chucker that my ex brother-in-law had and then a Bonanza O press with RCBS dies, 502 scale and Lee powder dippers. I would load 200-500 at a time for my pistols and went thru a lot of Speer cast lead 357. Yes I used to hand weigh every charge.

Last night after I posted this I went and watched some more videos, until 3:30am, this time on the RCBS Pro 2000 and the RCBS Rock Chucker 5 progressive. Both look to be nice presses though at $500 to $650 that's quite a bit more than I'm looking to spend. Would have to spend a lot of time shooing to pay for itself. Same with the Dillon stuff. I like the idea of setting up a die plate with all the dies and then being able to just swap out the whole plate to change calibers.

gm280, have been watching vids on casting too and that looks like something I would be interested in learning also now that I'm not working and have tons of time on my hands. Heck at this rate I might have to go find a part time job to support a new habit! :lol::D

thumpar

Admiral
I have a Lee Pro 1000. Once you learn it it has no problems. I bought it from Lee in their clearance section for $164 all setup for .223. All I had to do was buy the dies and shell plate for the pistol calibers to convert. Before that I had the 3 hole classic turret. They are the same frame.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I was just going through an old box of reloading gear that I have and had lost for years, and found several of the old single Lee set ups for re-loading, you used to be able to buy them for about $9 bucks each, it was how I re-loaded when I was in my early teens, my Dad gave me my first set up when I was like 13 for my .270, man I loaded a lot of ammo with that small little hobby kit! They call them the Lee Classic now a days and they sell for a whole bunch more, then they did when I got my first one!

http://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-270-win.html

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Some people still use the Lee loader to work up loads in the field. I have a single stage Lee press next to my Pro 1000 on the bench.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I have a Lee Pro 1000. Once you learn it it has no problems. I bought it from Lee in their clearance section for $164 all setup for .223. All I had to do was buy the dies and shell plate for the pistol calibers to convert. Before that I had the 3 hole classic turret. They are the same frame.

That's about what I've been seeing while watching the videos. Watched all the tweaks that people have come up with and have made over the years. Biggest problem being in the primer feed and how to solve that.

Found a place about an hour away that sells Lee equipment and they have the complete Pro 1000 for $159.00 plus sales tax set up for any caliber or the other options I've priced out would be the 2 turret presses.

The Classic Turret press with the Safety Primer feed and the Auto Drum measure comes in at $158.00 or the Value 4 Hole press with the primer feed and Drum measure at $128.00 to which with either of these I'd still have to add dies at about $40.00 which still pushes them cost wise above the cost of the Pro 1000.
Or they offer the Kits for both of the Turrets at $190.00 for the Classic which adds a manual and a cheap scale and the Auto Disk measure instead of the Drum measure which is still a great deal or the 4 hole Value Kit that also used the disk measure and scale, no manual for $120.00 and then would still need to add the Primer feed at $22.00

Now I do realize that these presses don't have the beef of the "O" single stages and could struggle with large rifle cases but seem to be well in their own with pistol cartridge's

Anyways this is the way I'm leaning just haven't determined which way to go with either a turret or the Pro. .

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
With the primer feed on the pro 1000 all you have to do is make sure there are enough primers to fill the shoot. The only times I have a primer problem was when I didn't watch the primer level it it got down to around 5 in the shoot.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
With the primer feed on the pro 1000 all you have to do is make sure there are enough primers to fill the shoot. The only times I have a primer problem was when I didn't watch the primer level it it got down to around 5 in the shoot.

So having the Pro 1000 what would your thoughts be as to comparing it to the turret press? Other than less handling of cases with the Pro. I'm still use to handling and inspecting each case as it goes thru the process, like checking each primer before a charge or checking powder level before bullet seating. Old habit I guess.

I do like the idea and setup of the Shell feed on the Pro.

thumpar

Admiral
With the progressive I will actually measure the first 10 powder throws to make sure I am at what I want. After that I just run it but do watch the powder throw on each round. I also manually feed the cases and bullets. The best thing about a progressive is once it is running you get a complete round for every pull of the handle instead of 3/4 per pull on a turret.

For specialty stuff and bigger rifle cases I use the single stage.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
So why do you not use the case feeder tubes? In my mind that's one of the biggest advantages of using Pro press.

thumpar

Admiral
So why do you not use the case feeder tubes? In my mind that's one of the biggest advantages of using Pro press.
I just like the control. With taller brass (.223) it also can tip them a bit. It doesn't slow down the process. I put a piece of brass in, put a bullet on the prepped case and pull the handle. I can usually get out at least a couple hundred rounds an hour but I will usually just sit down and load 100 at a time.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Just sitting here early on a Saturday morning and going through some old reloading supplies and found 22 boxes of Federal No 209 Shotgun primers, they are so old that the price tag is from Bi-Mart and the price per 100 primers ? 0.97 cents, talk about old memories!

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a old lee 3 hole turret press and it works great. It is effortless to do 500 s&w mag and 44 mag and 308.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just sitting here early on a Saturday morning and going through some old reloading supplies and found 22 boxes of Federal No 209 Shotgun primers, they are so old that the price tag is from Bi-Mart and the price per 100 primers ? 0.97 cents, talk about old memories!

Yet that was back when such things were manufactured without so much taxes, fees and worries from certain groups of legal folks. I remember buying 1000 primers for $7 dollars as well. Those days are long gone and never to return ever again. When you actually think about how much material it takes to make a primer, the present day costs are ludicrous. I also remember those days when I could easily reload a box of 38 specials or 45 ACPs for less then a box of 22lr's. Times sure have changed. :eek:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Yes the "good ol days" are long gone for many things. As it is said the winds have changed. Seems everything these days has to be regulated to death or over taxed. Wasn't that long ago that all the public boat launches here in Wisconsin were free and supported by the DNR or local communities. Then with all the new EPA regulations when one closes it's gone forever. One cannot just put in a new one w/o tons of money and environmental impact studies. But I digress.

If I recall correctly back when I was reloading it was costing me about 6 cents to load a 357 with lead wadcutters and boy did we shoot up a ton of them. Now to see how long we will still be able to acquire any lead.

Still been watching the auctions on ebay and just can't believe what people are paying for old and incomplete presses. Some I've seen by the time one cleans them up and replaces all the missing components one could just about buy new. A few I've seen it actually would have been cheaper to buy new. Makes me wonder if some people really are that foolish.

Some have responded with comments about their turret presses which brings up another question about dies. I see these days that Lee offers both 3 and 4 die pistol die sets. Is it necessary to have and use the factory crimp die? When I was reloading all I used was the RCBS 3 die set. Never had a problem. Been reading that some people use them and other don't.

Still deciding on which way to go with either a single stage, turret or progressive press. Start up costs seem to be comparative either way.

Last edited: