Sprint Cell Phone Carrier?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Who is using them and what are your opinions? I am trying to cut costs and they have good rates. I am currently with Verizon and want to change out Mrs B's flip phone for a smartphone. If I do that with Verizon, my monthly rate will go from the current $119/mo to $150.00 plus the cost of a new smartphone.

Sprint has a plan that gives unlimited talk and text, 2 gbs of data and two new Samsung smartphones for $90.00/mo. If you add up all the costs for cell phones, landline, internet and satellite TV, it is enough to practically live on every month. I need to get those total costs down.

alldodge

Staff member
Brother in law has Sprint an the biggest issue is service area. Had trouble with it at his house so his work got him a hot spot to use via his internet. When he comes to my house he has trouble with reception but does work just spotty. Just comes down to how good are they in your area.

Wife has smart phone, I have flip and she mainly does data at the house via our network. 2BG isn't much if you get surfing.

snowforfun4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
We had sprint in the Cincinnati area. Dropped multiple calls every day, even when we were very near the city. I called to complain and the call was dropped twice while holding to complain about dropped calls. When I finally got to speak to someone, I told them to cancel my plan and went to Verizon. Dropped maybe 2 calls in 1-1/2 years. Data is more expensive, but worth it for me as these a business phones.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Our company just switched to Sprint from Verizon, except for dropped calls, emails not sending, limited service area, missed calls not shown, being slow or unusable in many areas, voice mail not working, plus a few other issues, it's been great.

We had issues with Verizon data usage on our family plan, usage would skyrocket for no reason, and they had no answer as to why, but did cash our checks to pay for the extreme overages. This went on for months and appears to be a common issue with Verizon customers, Verizon's plan is to stall and see how many months they can collect Hugh amounts of $$$$. We went to a DSL land line, but kept the Verizon phone service.....well.....because we actually want to use the phone.

64osby

Admiral
We have Sprint. It is the nearest tower to the house but still have service issues at the house. We were provided an Air Rave free of charge and it works great as long as the cable internet is working.

4 smart phones for $154/month. I don't have many issues with dropped calls, one a month maybe while out and about. When able use the wifi for web stuff, keeps the data usage way down.

Don't know if I would recommend Sprint, but I'm not switching my service at this time.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I am over a barrel w Sprint. Not my favorite, and I wont recommens them, but w current phones and plan, cheapest total outlay.

bigdee

Commander
Look at tracfone,all their smartphones are verizion. Mine runs 20 bucks a month b/c I have carried over so much data,text and talk time over the years I have cut my data/text down to 150/month. Bank draft is automatic....no bills no frills. If you are close to wifi you can save on data and I don't do 150 texts/month. International calls are the same as all calls which is a plus for me.

Last edited:

rogerwa

Commander
Just a point of reference, you can go to Net10 Wireless and get unlimited voice, text, data with 5gb 4g lte per month for $45 per line. If you have two lines, you would pay $85 for two lines. You can pick which towers. I have At&T towers but you can get t-mobile or verizon. Just depends on the Sim card you buy.

I also picked up a new unlocked smartphone on ebay. If you are not particular to have the newest you can get very good and capable phones. I bought my wife an LG G3 brand new for just over $200.

thumpar

Admiral
I had Sprint for about 5 years. The data was nice when it worked but was usually very slow unless you were right at a tower. I switched back to Verizon last November. Verizon is much better.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
I have had Sprint since 2006. Started in Florida and now in Washington. When i was in Florida, anytime i left Jax and was on I-10 headed west, I lost service. Ws very good in Florida and was good in major cities, rural areas not so much. Here in Washington, From Marysville to Portland service is great, when I head north, Service is spotty in Stanwood but still decent all the way into Bellingham. When i cross into Canada or get up into the mountains, My company phone (AT&T) works best, however Verizon is who i have with Onstar and I have never had an issue with Onstar. I have 3 phones, 1500 Minutes Shared, Unlimited Text, Unlimited Data for $159.00, however if i change my plan in any way, i lose that price. That plan is no longer offered

thumpar

Admiral
I have had Sprint since 2006. Started in Florida and now in Washington. When i was in Florida, anytime i left Jax and was on I-10 headed west, I lost service. Ws very good in Florida and was good in major cities, rural areas not so much. Here in Washington, From Marysville to Portland service is great, when I head north, Service is spotty in Stanwood but still decent all the way into Bellingham. When i cross into Canada or get up into the mountains, My company phone (AT&T) works best, however Verizon is who i have with Onstar and I have never had an issue with Onstar. I have 3 phones, 1500 Minutes Shared, Unlimited Text, Unlimited Data for $159.00, however if i change my plan in any way, i lose that price. That plan is no longer offered
I had the same plan and only kept it because I was grandfathered in. After awhile I got fed up. My girlfriend has Verizon and could get full lte when I was lucky to get 1x if that. We are both on Verizon now.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
You may want to check into t-mobile if you're keeping your options open. I heard that T-mobile is really trying to get a good coverage area to get some of the Verizon customers. I have Verizon, but I get a discount with them through work so for me Verizon is competitive in price. I will say that I've never had connection issues with them in the 14 years I have had them. My biggest issue with Verizon is the store I have to go to and overall they have terrible customer service.