Saving contacts to icloud.

sam60

Captain
Company provides me with an iPhone, currently a 4S. I get a call from the IT guy that a free upgrade to a 5S is available.

Me: My phone works fine.
IT: But you can get 4G and use the cell connection to run internet on your computer.
Me: Ok, send me the phone.
2 weeks later phone arrives.
Me: How do I save my contacts to the new phone?
IT: Just go to your icloud.
Me: I don't have one.
IT: Just download icloud app and follow the instructions.
Me: OK....

I spent 2 hours at work getting the icloud app on the laptop and am on my 8th or 10th attempt to upload my old phone to the cloud. It must be done on a wifi connection and the home wifi is much better than at work.

I keep getting failure messages and when restarted it estimates anywhere from 1 to 7 hours to complete. :facepalm:

I am one of the guys that has difficulty posting a pic here.

Yes I googled and went to apple forums but found too many results.

Is there a way to simply download an older phone to a hard drive then upload to a newer phone? :grumpy:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Got an Apple store near? Go to the Genius Bar with the phone. It's a face to face support desk

sam60

Captain
Thanks, GA_ there is a couple of those close to where I work. Good idea.

Do I need to provide a Mensa score to order a Bud Lite to celebrate if they get it right? :lol:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
All they serve at the Genius Bar are Appletinis. :puke:

Save your Mensa score for something worthwhile, like a slice of Papa John's and a Budweiser. It works for Peyton. :D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Sam I read this and started laughing .. I just went through the exact same thing upgrading from a 4 ,which worked fine other than battery life , to a 5 ...
I'm in the same boat as far as computer skills .. I did the same icloud deal and was able to transfer some of my contacts but not all of them ... Then the phone started messing up saying I had sim card failure . The first place I went was to the verizon store .. They could not get the sim card out ... Gotta take it to the Apple store they said .. Ok thank goodness there is one store in town ... The next closest one is in Orlando .. The place was standing room only packed ! After waiting about 40 mins the girl that tried to help could not get the card out either .. Your gunna have to get an appointment and come back when one of the other techs can fix it ... :confused: :frusty:...
They finally got the card out and tested it ... The card was fine so they replaced the phone ... Still didn't get all my contacts back so I have been just putting them back in myself ...
I think I should have just kept the 4 ... :lol:
Hope one of the strange looking employee's for Apple can get it worked out for ya ..
I've never seen such a bunch of tattooed nose ring silly looking hair cut bunch in my life !
Not that that's a bad thing ... :watermelon:

sam60

Captain
I told the IT youngster that I'll just go to the Apple store. He said save yourself the headache. He was going to call me back today to help make the swap and never did...Is it as simple as changing sim cards sphelps? I could care less about apps that I can download later, just want all of the contacts.

thumpar

Admiral
It all depends on how your contacts are saved. When I want from the 5s to 6s I has to log into my gmail account to get my contacts back.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I don't think you can interchange the sim from a 4 to a 5 .. I think thumpar has the right idea ... None of my email contacts were saved on the switch over ..

southkogs

Staff member
Provided you are using the native "Contacts" App in iOS:

Go into your settings on the iPhone 4. In the first pane there should be a selection for iCloud. Go into that setting. If you have an iCloud account, there should be toggle switches for your contacts, notes, calendar, reminders, etc. All of those native Apple Apps can sync to iCloud. If you don't have an iCloud account, you'll need to create one and then log in.

Once those are synched up, they should synch with any Apple product you have online and logged into your iCloud account (iPod, iPad, Mac Computer, etc.)

Also make sure you're iOS is updated as high as it will go: probably around 7.2.x

sam60

Captain
The IT guy remotely accessed my computer today and uploaded old phone and downloaded same to new phone. He did it without wifi enabled and was done in about 10 minutes. His comment was "dude that was easy, you don't even have one song stored on your phone"

Thanks for the input from all. Done.

southkogs

Staff member
Music, video and photos ... that's what chews up memory for most folks.

Glad it's done.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It all depends on how your contacts are saved.
Yep. I save most of my contacts through my Microsoft Exchange server so none of the contacts are actually on the phone.

No contacts are ever stored on the sim card anymore.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
I don't like Verizon too much, but when I switched from a 4S to a 6, the Verizon Backup Assistant Plus app made restoring my contacts painless.