Hey gm280, wanted to pass...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
This along, a bunch of the guys I know have been buying AR lowers from this company:

http://www.ar-15lowerreceivers.com/

They have good things to say about them, didn't know if you were familiar with them or not.

I just looked at them. Not bad. Sounds like the other site I usually visit: www.80-Lower.com

I noticed that these sites now are showing the drill guides for the side holes and such, but I don't see the top plate guide with them now. Have they changed their drill guides? :noidea:

MT, did you get your in yet? And if so, do they look nice?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I ordered a set of drill guides off gun broker the other night for $65 that has top plates and side plates for use with either a drill press or a router, but I am actually looking for an X2 or X3 mill right now, Have not received by lowers yet, they ended up putting them on back order, but I did buy an upper/lower combo from a guy yesterday on Ar15.com that is suppose to be here on Thursday. I bought that one because I am going to build one that my wife can use, it is all bright purple!

:D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Why is it that one would want to buy just lower receivers? Although I do not need another gun, I have been thinking of stepping up to an AR. The choices seem dizzying today.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Why is it that one would want to buy just lower receivers? Although I do not need another gun, I have been thinking of stepping up to an AR. The choices seem dizzying today.
ARs are like legos for men. I have built many.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Boomyal, folks like us like the idea of buying 80% lower receivers for a few reasons. First it is the fun to building your own gun. Secondly, when you build your own gun, it doesn't have to be registered with anybody and it is totally 100% legal as well. What an 80% lower actually is, is a AR15 lower receiver that doesn't have the trigger area milled out of the aluminum section yet. So therefore it is sold as a piece of metal and there is no restriction for anybody to buy them. You don't fill out any paperwork of have to prove you are 21 YO or anything like that. It is like buying anything else on the net. You simply buy and they send. Absolutely legal. There isn't any backroom shenanigans going on or any under the table junk either. The ATF knows all about this and states it is legal. AND, if you don't want to, you don't have to put any serial number or markings on the gun either. It can be plain without any such things marked on it. Some put their own identification markings on it so if it gets stolen, you can identify it. The only restrictions are, you can't sell it to anybody or even give it away. That is considered manufacturing then.

So buy a few and have at it. The critical threaded areas are already machined and the magazine well is finished as well. You only have to mill out the trigger group areas. So if you own a drill, you can build one. They sell the templates so you can do that as well. Check You Tube for some videos and watch them. JMHO!

Oh one last thing. The 80% lowers are not only restricted to AR15's, you can also make AR10's and 1911 45ACP guns as well. Lots to do in this world if you like those types of things. :thumb:

thumpar

Admiral
I have a couple 80% AK recievers I bent out of flats. Those are really easy. All you do is put it in the press with the jig and have it press it out and then heat treat it. All the holes and the top bends are done when you buy them. The flats I bought were only 9$ each. To complete it you can get a demilled parts kit and just rivet it together.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Boomyal, folks like us like the idea of buying 80% lower receivers for a few reasons. First it is the fun to building your own gun. Secondly, when you build your own gun, it doesn't have to be registered with anybody and it is totally 100% legal as well. What an 80% lower actually is, is a AR15 lower receiver that doesn't have the trigger area milled out of the aluminum section yet. So therefore it is sold as a piece of metal and there is no restriction for anybody to buy them. You don't fill out any paperwork of have to prove you are 21 YO or anything like that. It is like buying anything else on the net. You simply buy and they send. Absolutely legal. There isn't any backroom shenanigans going on or any under the table junk either. The ATF knows all about this and states it is legal. AND, if you don't want to, you don't have to put any serial number or markings on the gun either. It can be plain without any such things marked on it. Some put their own identification markings on it so if it gets stolen, you can identify it. The only restrictions are, you can't sell it to anybody or even give it away. That is considered manufacturing then.

So buy a few and have at it. The critical threaded areas are already machined and the magazine well is finished as well. You only have to mill out the trigger group areas. So if you own a drill, you can build one. They sell the templates so you can do that as well. Check You Tube for some videos and watch them. JMHO!

Oh one last thing. The 80% lowers are not only restricted to AR15's, you can also make AR10's and 1911 45ACP guns as well. Lots to do in this world if you like those types of things. :thumb:

Then what do you do for the rest of the gun? Sometimes when you build things out of bits and pieces you end up getting buried. How would you know what to buy, to finish the piece and where to buy it?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
......folks like us like the idea of buying 80% lower receivers for a few reasons.....

I am quite sure that I would include myself amongst 'the folks like us', it's just that I am not up to speed on this issue.

thumpar

Admiral
Then what do you do for the rest of the gun? Sometimes when you build things out of bits and pieces you end up getting buried. How would you know what to buy, to finish the piece and where to buy it?
ARs are easy. You finish the lower and get a lower parts kit and stock to make it complete. You can then either buy an upper complete or put that together yourself too. Once you have the lower everything else can be ordered without background checks.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
ARs are easy. You finish the lower and get a lower parts kit and stock to make it complete. You can then either buy an upper complete or put that together yourself too. Once you have the lower everything else can be ordered without background checks.

I know that some of you may have done a lot of legwork already and I don't mean to be a parasite but if someone could post links to all the things you need to build a complete AR, I would give it a go.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I know that some of you may have done a lot of legwork already and I don't mean to be a parasite but if someone could post links to all the things you need to build a complete AR, I would give it a go.

Okay here goes. You can purchase the 80% lowers at lots of places but here are just a few;

80-lower dot com
ar-15lowerreciver dot com
aresarmor dot com

There are others as well.

For the upper receivers, they are available at so many places, I couldn't possible list them all. And there is no checks or licenses needed to buy them as well. You can buy whatever you want for the calibers too. A company I love to buy from for my uppers is;

DoubleStar dot com

If you want to know anything about AR's they will educate you.

I will mention one things though. Buying and making your own gun IS addicting.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

It seems the lack of required ID makes selling or giving them away virtually untraceable. So although it is or maybe illegal to do so, unless you are "manufacturing/finishing" and transferring large numbers of 80% lowers or completed firearms how would anyone know. ;);):joyous:

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I live in Militia country central, making your own guns up here is a daily past time for many guys!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Okay here goes. You can purchase the 80% lowers at lots of places but here are just a few;

80-lower dot com
ar-15lowerreciver dot com
aresarmor dot com

There are others as well.

For the upper receivers, they are available at so many places, I couldn't possible list them all. And there is no checks or licenses needed to buy them as well. You can buy whatever you want for the calibers too. A company I love to buy from for my uppers is;

DoubleStar dot com

If you want to know anything about AR's they will educate you.

I will mention one things though. Buying and making your own gun IS addicting.

What do you suppose it would cost to build a decent AR? Nothing super exotic, just decent with a collapsible stock, sights and an accessory rail.

thumpar

Admiral
I did a cheap build for $560 and that included a red dot Aimpoint style sight.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
What do you suppose it would cost to build a decent AR? Nothing super exotic, just decent with a collapsible stock, sights and an accessory rail.

Figure between $500-600 and you would be able to build a higher quality than you would be able to purchase for that price, by the time I am done with my .300AAC build, I will have about $600 into it and it would cost me over $1300 to buy what I am building.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Boomyal, I haven't priced things out recently myself. Been occupied with my boat project. However, I did build quite a few around the $450 to $500 dollar range before. And they were in the 7.62 x 39mm AK47 round chambered and with flat topped picatinny railed with collapsible stocks as well. And I would absolutely put those AR rifles up against any other brand made today for fit, form and reliable function and solid delivery. So buy all of it at once, or a little here and there. Most every AR part fits to every other AR part within reason. And my AR's are well equipped to use for hunting deer or better yet, wild bore. Every adult member of my family owns at least one. JMHO!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It seems the lack of required ID makes selling or giving them away virtually untraceable. So although it is or maybe illegal to do so, unless you are "manufacturing/finishing" and transferring large numbers of 80% lowers or completed firearms how would anyone know. ;);):joyous:

Limited-Time. I honestly know what you are truly saying. But for my own satisfaction and legality, I won't comment on your post about such things. I won't be doing anything illegal at my shop. But I will be building a few more 80% lowers as well though. :thumb: