New Deck?

Volphin

Lieutenant
So the wife wants a new deck to add onto what we have already. The current one is in two parts. Half is under a roof with a screened in porch, the other half is open deck. It has 2 wooden stairs that come up from the sidewalk, so It's like waist high. The idea is to add another deck along the front of each, 12 ft deep x 20-24 ft long, but we would step down to it 1 step. The deck would not be tied to the others, just placed in front of them.

I'm unsure how to draw up some plans for this as I'm not really a carpenter type guy? I mean, I've used a mitre box before and I have a table saw, but I've never taken on something like this, so I'm unsure of industry standards as far as how wide apart stringers are and how to box it in. Also unsure of how many 4 x 4 support posts I need. I DO know how to measure twice and cut once. :D

Any of you guys ever plan one?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Lowes and HomeDepot offer that service. Perhaps where ever you plan to get the lumber does too.

16in spacing for typical 5/4 stock decking.

Load and deck size will dictate 4X4 placement and quantity.

Consider post and beam framing since you'll be using 4X4s on both the existing deck (house) side and on the away from the house side.

Thats a huge add on deck, which could accommodate a bunch of people.

I dont have access to calculate it via my phone, but that size deck could have a huge live load capacity in addition to static loads.

There are also online sites that you could probably use to draw up the plans and estimate materials. As well as free software that could help do the same.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
Your local municipality will likely have requirements. Start there.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Your local municipality will likely have requirements. Start there.
Mine doesnt, but still requires a permit, a rough sketch and a material cost if I do the work myself.

YMMV

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
You have to frame 12" on center if you use composite decking... (Trex) Your post spacing depends on your framing material... 2x6" 2x8" 2x10" etc... Lowes or Home Depot is a good place to start. Go to the pro desk. If you feel like the person you are talking to doesn't know what he/she is talking about, they probably don't. You'll know when you find the right person. Building a deck is fun! Space your decking with a pencil or nail so you have room to play as you approach the end of your build. It's always a good idea to watch a few Youtube videos to get some build tips.

southkogs

Staff member
I did mine a few years back, but when I looked into permits and such I opted not to mess with taking the whole thing down. I basically rebuilt the 12x14 part that was attached to the house, and then added two "floating" sections on pylons. Basically I built a couple of "rafts" and bolted them into place at the base of the existing deck. As a result, I didn't even need to build any staircase.

I literally Googled square deck plans, and adjusted the length for two things - materials (lower waste) and to leave a spot for a small fire area.

I'll see if I can find my plans ...