Real World Result- My $60. DIY Fuel Transfer Pump

JoLin

Vice Admiral
You might remember this original thread, which prompted a lot of discussion...

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/othe...transfer-pump-for-about-60-00?_=1454673181470

I got down to Stuart, FL a week ago and started draining the old fuel out of my 16-footer. I don't know why the pump setup worked so much better on the boat than it did at home, but I filled a 6-gallon can in less than 20 minutes. That gives it a flow rate about double the 10 gph I saw when I tested it at home.

When I 'bench tested' it originally at home, I had plugged it in to a 5-amp converter (110V to 12V), and I measured a 4-amp draw from the 2 pumps. On the boat I plugged it into my portable jump starter. I dunno if or why that would make a difference, but the little pumps were cranking along pretty well.

Just wanted to share. Thanks.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
JoLin, I actually do remember that thread and the attention it had received. Glad everything worked out for you. :thumb:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Mission Accomplished!

Maybe battery volts/current are better than from AC to DC conversion. :noidea:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Mission Accomplished!

Maybe battery volts/current are better than from AC to DC conversion. :noidea:

Yeah, I'm stumped, too :)

At least it works in the field. 20 gph makes it usable when I occasionally needs to transfer fuel where a siphon doesn't work too well. I sat the pump assembly and fuel can in the cockpit, pulled the sending unit and ran a couple of short hoses. Piece of cake- I didn't need to run any long feed or drain hoses, or snake anything through the boat to ground level. If and when I find some extra bucks, I'll replace the low capacity pumps with a high pressure F.I. pump.

My .02

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you dont need high pressure, you need high volume

JoLin

Vice Admiral
In the context of fuel pumps, higher pressure = greater volume. In either system, you're pushing (or pulling) fuel through the same size hose. High pressure F.I. pumps push a higher volume of fuel than low pressure carburetor pumps do.

My .02