Residential wiring question.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I'm not a licensed electrician but have been doing electrical for more than 30 years and have only used romex a handful of times. EMT is code here has been for longer than I've been alive (55 years). It's the only way to go.
Never seen EMT which is rigid in interior walls in residential construction. Only seen flex conduit used in interior walls in residential.

Last edited:

bigdee

Commander
I'm not a licensed electrician but have been doing electrical for more than 30 years and have only used romex a handful of times. EMT is code here has been for longer than I've been alive (55 years). It's the only way to go.

Not required by NEC unless building has a occupancy of 100 or more people. May be required by locals in your area.....no where in NC or SC have I seen it used except on surface runs.

NYBo

Admiral
"Au contraire" On the contrary" "mon fr?re" Used as a greeting between friends, primarily as a joke taking the **** out of people who call each other "Brother".

Never thought we were related

Hey, it rhymes! And besides, we are related. Your mother and my mother are/were both mothers! (Can't remember where I picked up that one.)

NYBo

Admiral
Never seen EMT which is rigid in interior walls in residential construction. Only seen flex conduit used in interior walls in residential.

I believe in some areas at least, EMT is required from the panel to an arc-fault outlet. Outlets connected farther down the line can be connected with NM cable.

alldodge

Staff member
Also was mistaken about the 15AMP feed thru, looks like both the 15 and 20 slim have 20AMP feed thru.

Edit: Leviton brand

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well this thread has taken on a life of its own now. If anybody ever wanted to wire something and wanted to know how, it has to be on here. :smile:

NYBo

Admiral
Well this thread has taken on a life of its own now. If anybody ever wanted to wire something and wanted to know how, it has to be on here. :smile:

Next up: Wiring your flux capacitor, solid or stranded wire?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sounds like it's time for a pole?

Yes it is. We'll keep it simple;
Close it or close it!​
Come on, people - Stop picking on each other and no belittling comments. And be more respectful of others and opinions which are contrary to yours.

You know what opinions are like, don't you? Proof is in some of the posts in this thread! If you can not be respectful and aren't helping the OP - DO NOT REPLY.

lckstckn - Have you gotten the info you need about shared neutrals and GFCI?

Last edited:

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Last weekend I finished up at my brothers house.
I bought the non-conductive fishtape from Harbor freight and worked the fishtape through the conduit and pulled an additional neutral wire from the panel and installed the GFCI, Arc fault combo breaker.