E-85 flex fuel Buick

robert graham

Admiral
I bought a E-85 flex fuel Lucerne Buick....first E-85 car I've owned and just wondering if a tank of E-85 ethanol fuel every now and then would help clean the injectors, combustion chambers, spark plugs, etc.?...or does it even matter if I use E-85 or normal gasoline?.....any of you experts know about this?...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
normal gasoline is e10 (sometimes higher). there is not much crud in your motor. However I encourage you to fill the tank, figure out your mileage per gallon, compare that to E10. then calculate the miles per dollar to determine if E85 makes sense.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Good point, Scott. Only a few short months ago E-85 was under 2 bucks, while E-10 regular was $2.50 or more around here Now with the drop in gas prices. E-85 is a nickle or dime more than E-10 at the local joint. Pricing does depend on location and I guess the production teeter point has been reached for ethanol.

alldodge

Staff member
Never used it, but have several folks which have. All the folks I know which have used it say it's cheaper but they get less mileage.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Never used it, but have several folks which have. All the folks I know which have used it say it's cheaper but they get less mileage.

the miles per dollar is usually worse with E85 than E10.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
95% of all statistics published are made up.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Got my new ride and the gubment paperwork says I will get only 70% of the mileage if i use the e85.
So I figure that really means about 60%.
Unless you are in a cold climate and start the engine from cold, several times a day, then only 45%.

But you get to smell all kinds of unburnt ethanol coming out the tailpipe, until the engine get warmed up.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Gasoline (varies with formulation) has appx 114k btu/gal
E-85 has appx 81k btu/gal (appx 70% of gasoline)
Ethanol has appx 76k btu/gal

The ratio of BTU/gal is the main issue with the changing miles per gallon in a Flex Fuel (computer controlled injection based on getting the desired power)

If you drive the same and the system works, then it is correct to expect 70% of the miles per gallon on E-85 as on no-alcohol gasoline.
But you'll likely be comparing 10% ethanol gas to the E-85 so you should do a bit better on the E-85.

Actually, Henry Ford expected automobiles to be operated on alcohol.
Gasoline was a waste product of processing oil for other purposes. Oil companies just burned it to get rid of it.
(and as long as we use oil for ANYTHING, we'll end up making gasoline as part of processing crude oil.)
gasoline was cheap and reasonably available. Cheaper than the alcohol, and it worked well. So it became the predominant fuel for automobiles and people rapidly forgot that the car was supposed to be alcohol fueled.

As long as gasoline is cheaper for use as fuel in cars, that is what will dominate.
When alcohol is cheaper then that will naturally become the dominant fuel.

Artificially manipulating the market really doesn't do any good because it lets the producers of the product being artificially promoted make a profit without researching better ways to process the product. It also lends to the argument that the product couldn't survive on the market without government subsidies.

If the product can't survive on the market on its own... then the product isn't ready for the market. Eventually, alcohol will be the dominant fuel... but there's no reason for the government to manipulate the market.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Show your work,,,,, Math calculation and all :D

Before doing that, some pre-testing is required to ensure the ability to comprehend the high level of mathematics used to arrive at the 75% figure.

Please help my kid with his homework;

comm core.jpg

I'm stuck. The dog ate the homework figs and switching to prunes was a big mistake!:doh:

:lol:

alldodge

Staff member
Before doing that, some pre-testing is required to ensure the ability to comprehend the high level of mathematics used to arrive at the 75% figure.

Please help my kid with his homework;

I'm stuck. The dog ate the homework figs and switching to prunes was a big mistake!:doh:

:lol:

I'm sorry, I'll go back and sit down (5th grader and such) :behindsofa:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Hey Robert, I think we took your original post in 6 different directions. However we will all be on the couch with AllDodge, I will bring the beer

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Leave it to a Mod to take this thread in a different direction(GA). :)

Using E-85 may or may not clean up your fuel system. You may have to do a bunch of internet research. And find hard facts instead of opinions. IOW, stay away from forums. My wife's Chrysler 200S has a yellow gas cap that sez E-85. The dealer said nothing about E-85. May have to look at the owners manual. Personally, I would dump a can of Seafoam in the tank every now and then. Only $6-$10 depending on where you buy it.........:D

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral
The reason for my original post was that some gasoline additives contain some ethanol and I just wondered if a tank of E-85 now and then might have any cleaning effect....Fuel efficiency is not the question here.

GA_Boater

If there is any cleaning effect to by gained by using E-85, a tank full every now and then will not make any difference. On the other hand, If it did, a steady diet of E-85 or possibly every other tank would be needed. One fill up out of 10 or 15 or so, won't clean out the fuel system, If it has any cleaning benefits. JHMO!!!!