Buick Lucerne fuel filter

robert graham

Admiral
Just bought a nice 2009 Buick Lucerne and trying to update the maintenance....seems to be some confusion regarding location of fuel filter on this model....was told it was inside fuel tank?.... Is that so?.... Any of you experts know for sure where my fuel filter is on this car?

Tnstratofam

Commander
Interesting we have a low mileage 2008 Lucerne and your question got me wondering so I did some checking. Looks like from 2006 on up the fuel filter is a non serviceable item that is part of the in tank fuel pump assembly. So from what I've read you can either get the entire fuel system cleaned by the dealer, or wait till the fuel pump fails and then replace the assembly. I guess an in line fuel filter could be added to protect the injectors.

I believe the fuel system service provided by the dealer is nothing more than some hyped up fuel injection cleaner that bypasses the gas tank anyway, so I'm not sure it does much to prevent damage to the fuel system.

One more step towards eliminating maintenance performed at home by the average mechanic.

robert graham

Admiral
I also heard that the fuel tank/fuel pump has an access plate in the floor of the trunk so the fuel tank does not require removal???.....Anybody know about this?....I just don't want to wait until the filter is plugged up and leaves us on the side of the road....

Volphin

Lieutenant
Robert, yes there is an access plate in the trunk. The part runs around $350 or so. Frankly, I would not bother. The fuel pumps and the fuel pump relays on this model are prone to failure from 2006-2011. I'd leave well enough alone. They do not require servicing until they fail, and today, fuel is filtered at the pump.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
There is no filter on the fuel pump, per say. Just a screen to keep large objects from being sucked into the pump.

Don't know about your particular vehicle, but most I've owned have a replaceable cartridge type filter under the hood. Follow the fuel line from the firewall forward

robert graham

Admiral
There is no filter on the fuel pump, per say. Just a screen to keep large objects from being sucked into the pump.

Don't know about your particular vehicle, but most I've owned have a replaceable cartridge type filter under the hood. Follow the fuel line from the firewall forward

I'm familiar with the screen mesh "sock" type filter built onto the fuel pump and I think you may have a great idea about searching out the replaceable cartridge filter usually located under the car and attached to the frame near the fuel tank....I'm still confident that the cartridge filter has not been replaced or eliminated on Buicks....I'll be checking it out and thanks for your good idea!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Buy a service manual or go to the dealer and ask them to look up the fuel filter. You can also post your question in a Buick forum.

BTW, not all cars have replaceable fuel filters in the fuel line. My Lexus GS300 only has the screen in the tank

Last edited:

Volphin

Lieutenant
Let me clarify my post. LOL When I spoke of the fuel being filtered at the pump, I meant the fuel dispenser at the gas station. Some are even dual filtered. There is very little chance of debris entering your fuel tank from the dispenser. OEMs know this, and have opted for screens and socks for general filtration.

thumpar

Admiral
The parts places I use doesn't list a fuel filter for that model.

robert graham

Admiral
The parts places I use doesn't list a fuel filter for that model.

Yep, that's what I'm hearing: Filter is non-serviceable and no part available...filter is part of fuel pump assembly. Guess you just wait until the filter plugs/and/or pump fails, then replace the entire pump....at maybe $500!....something just not right about this!....

Tnstratofam

Commander
Like I posted before they're making it so you can't do your own maintenance any more. We have had our dealer service our 2008 ever since we bought it. Fortunately the people we bought it from had done the same thing since it was new. It only has 23000 miles on it now so other than it being 8 years old it's virtually a new car.

Every time we get it serviced the service manager at the dealership smiles and says he loves the look his mechanics have when they read the odometer on our car. They always ask what little old lady owns it, and he makes it a point that they see my wife ( Who,is now little old lady! ) pick it up.