Did I get ripped off? I'm thinking so!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
That code is probably being set because the oil has caused an O2 sensor to fail.

That code is not really an O2 sensor failure as much as it's an indication of a CAT converter failure...... Excessive oil burning will destroy a cat converter.

You might get away with.... Slick 50.
(people love to hate this stuff...)
Yeah......That's probably why the Federal Trade Commission sued them for false advertising many years ago..........Yet people still buy the stuff..... I'm trying to remember a quote by P.T. Barnum.......

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That code is not really an O2 sensor failure as much as it's an indication of a CAT converter failure...... Excessive oil burning will destroy a cat converter.
That code is the Cat convertor code but a bad O2 sensor will also cause that code to get thrown as well. I agree that it could be either. Typically, the O2 sensor is replaced first followed by the Cat.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
That code is the Cat convertor code but a bad O2 sensor will also cause that code to get thrown as well. I agree that it could be either. Typically, the O2 sensor is replaced first followed by the Cat.

Yeah, if you're burning oil excessively and it's not fixed fairly soon, it usually takes out the cat converter and the O2 sensors............

Did I get ripped off? I'm thinking so!
Yeah........probably........Sorry about that.........

For the OP: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0420

Last edited:

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Surprisingly enough, the oil level has not dropped. I also agree that it could be either way Cat or O2. It did however pass emissions, so I'm getting rid of it. ASAP I'd dig into it more if I were going to keep it, but it left a bad taste in my mouth, and it's too small for the wife anyhow. I'd like to say "lesson learned", but I don't know what I could have done differently. Once it's warmed up, there seems to be nothing wrong. No codes were stored when I bought it so.... Oh well! Not a big loss!:noidea: