Car stalls when clutch is depressed

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer
Car is a 2007 Nissan Sentra with about 130,000 miles and manual transmission. The car will stall intermittently at highway speeds when I go to make a turn and put in the clutch. Seems to do it more in cold weather. I had to replace the fuel pump over the summer and thought that would fix it but it didn't. Any ideas? Thanks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Do any engine lights come on? Any difference turning left or right?

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Does it do anything at idle when clutch is depressed?
I am just thinking about the clutch safety switch might be shorting when the clutch pedal is depressed.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
how new are the plugs and wires? Ever use any injector cleaner? Chevron Techron is what I use. Simply one full tank of Shell V-power periodically will straighten out a lot of minor issues

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer
No check engine lights and the car stalls before I even make a turn. I've never changed the plugs because they are a pain to get to and you have to remove the intake to get at them. Only happens when I'm driving, I put the clutch in and the car drops down to idle speed and then falters and dies.

This is a video of some other guy having similar issues.

https://youtu.be/DEMzecrRQS0

GA_Boater

Why is the video guy pushing the clutch in when he's over 90 MPH?

So you're driving down the road and preparing to turn. You clutch in to downshift and the motor dies. Are you holding the clutch in instead of doing the complete downshift? What happens if you let the clutch out and finish the downshift as normal?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have really no certain answer. But I would certainly check the travel of the clutch pedal to see if you are some how shorting some electrical wires. :noidea:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Doubt it has anything to do with the clutch....just stalling when dropping quickly to an idle from high RPM.
GA_B had the right ???s

alldodge

Staff member
The other guy is doing 60 MPH, the top scale is Kilometers, mph is the bottom scale

I thing it's in idle air control valve or MAP sensor

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

GA_Boater

The guy is over 90, closer to 95 on the outer, MPH scale. The inner scale is KPH - about 150-155 KPH.

This isn't helping the OP. Here is a cheap (free) and easy procedure to try. The reason for trying this is because the idle isn't being maintained when lowering from a higher RPM. Will it work? Don't know, but it cant hurt anything to try.

http://nissanhelp.com/diy/sentra/pro...e_learning.php

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've never changed the plugs because they are a pain to get to and you have to remove the intake to get at them.
this should be in "The Excuse Book" lol.
Whenever something is beyond my ability, I take to someone that can. It may not be your plugs, but I'll bet you'd get better mileage with some new ones. IF it were mine, a new set of the recommended plugs gapped correctly, new wires (not the best, but the better set than stock, new Dcap with brass contacts if possible, rotor button; and get that running, From what you've said, my guess is it most likely needs that, regardless.

There may be, should be a solenoid that keeps the throttle open some to prevent the engine from stalling. But again, if it were mine, I would attack the ignition system first, based on what you've said. Simply because a poor ignition would only exaggerate a problem with that solenoid.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Reading more of the comments, I do like the Idle Speed Control solenoid idea now. Sure does sound like that could be the problem. JMHO!

Volphin

Lieutenant
Electronic throttle body failure. Very common on these Nissans. You can get one from NAPA, Azone or pop for a real one at the dealer.

NYBo

Admiral
Electronic throttle body failure. Very common on these Nissans. You can get one from NAPA, Azone or pop for a real one at the dealer.
Agreed, but I think this would throw an error code.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Not sure that there would be a D-cap and rotor on that car.
oh well.... don't get under the hood much anymore. Juz my old '93 Ranger.... and that's not very often - check the fluids etc. Slave cylinder gave out at 208,000, that's about it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Hard to imagine letting a vehicle get to 130K without changing spark plugs. Hope they aren't seized! I would at least start with that before anything else. They need to be done anyway.

I watched the video on youtube of taking the intake manifold off to change the spark plugs. Compared to my Lexus GS, the Nissan is a piece of cake!

Last edited: