evil google

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
it is tracking me more than I want, more specifically spamming me wiht emails.

If I look at a website poking around, say looking at a prescription drug price comparison - i then receive an email to my (non gmail) personal account. I have not entered my email addy on the site.

I poked around settings but couldn't find anything that was specific to this; I found a 'do not track' setting and check the box but not sure that wil resolve it. Any other suggestions?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I find it interesting that even when I purchase anything online, that I get bombarded with offerings for the same items from everywhere. I mean I already bought the item. Stop already. :noidea:

alldodge

Staff member
Same thing happens and I use yahoo. Bad thing about yahoo is it has an advertising pane on the right of the email box. I go to tractor supply, same items start flashing there, or any other site. If I didn't have the email account so long (since it started at Stanford University) I would just use gmail (also have one there). I do a lot of marking messages as spam, and use the block or ban email addresses.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Ad blocker plus

Do you have a gmail account? Even if its not the getting emails.

Check thru your list of add ons, sometimes theres something I dont want thats part of something I do want.

southkogs

Staff member
I think Google's using the IP address to do the tracking. How their propeller heads are getting that to connect to your email, I don't really know. But ad blocks and even private browsing doesn't seem to close it out.

Can ya' pirate one of the neighbors IPs and surf the net using their identity :pirate: ...

... Just kiddin' :biggrin-new:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I find it interesting that even when I purchase anything online, that I get bombarded with offerings for the same items from everywhere. I mean I already bought the item. Stop already. :noidea:

Yeah thats kinda irritating, but just don't want the emails.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Ad blocker plus

Do you have a gmail account? Even if its not the getting emails.

Check thru your list of add ons, sometimes theres something I dont want thats part of something I do want.

Can't add any programs to the work laptop. I'll see if I can find the add ons sections.

thumpar

Admiral
Most likely there are cookie being set that other websites are able to look at. I know if I go to a website like amazon to look at something the ads on other websites will show the same or similar item. Those are from cookies.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you are getting emails, it's because you entered the addy somewhere. Joining online contests for example, often have boxes checked to receive adverts from the contest sponsors by default.

Another source is using Chrome and creating a Gmail email account. Don't do it because now Google has 2 addy's. If a rego process asks for an email to send update notices, news about the product, etc., only enter the absolute minimum required,

We only hear about the big companies, like Chase and Home Depot and Target being hacked. What about the ones that haven't been found out and the hackers have your email?

My advice is anytime you are asked to supply your email addy for anything. think hard about it first. Or create a burner email account. I use an Outlook/Hotmail account when I absolutely have to. I never check it unless regos send an email for completing. If it fills up with spam emails, so what!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like a great idea GA. I do notice that those adds pop up for a while and then go away after a few days or weeks. So I just ignore them and move on. I'm not the computer savvy guy (even though I wrong tons of computer programs) but I chose to be in the dark now being retired.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you are getting emails, it isn't because of google. That's why I have a junk email account for places that want my email and I am not buying stuff from them.

I have a gmail account and it gets less spam than my regular email account.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
again, ads I get - this is emails and no i did NOT enter my addy on the site. Has happened several times, the latest was I was working and because of who I work for I usually have a TV on in the background, saw an ad for goodrx.com and went there. Never seen it/been there before and a couple hours later had an email from them in my charter.net addy.

I just found this in that email. I'll check it out and see what it says.

This message is personalized by Criteo Email based on your previous browsing behavior. To understand why you received this email and access Criteo Email privacy policy, click here. If you want to opt-out only from Criteo Email personalized emails, click here.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I wouldn't. When you click on those, they just confirmed they found a real email address and you will get even more.

Yep - A dirty little trick to confirm you have an active email address.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Check your browser add-ons, .Joe.

all I found was

DOCS
SHEETS
SLIDES.

Don't think any of these should cause this? Again - work laptop nothing gets added without an admin and they regularly scan for unapproved stuff.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I wouldn't. When you click on those, they just confirmed they found a real email address and you will get even more.

I take that risk, usually no issues and the few times it was that I was eventually able to get off the lists.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I take that risk, usually no issues and the few times it was that I was eventually able to get off the lists.
LOL...well from a casual observer, you seem to be getting a lot of junk email so maybe you shouldn't be taking that risk anymore!

alldodge

Staff member
No expert by far here, but I think it happens when you go to a site and buy something, enter your email for notification. The site has your email and now your IP address. Someone or some bot sends or sales this to other retailers. Seems to increase if I go to a new retailer and buy something, next thing happens I start getting more spam from retailers I didn't even go to