Back to Tablets!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
This should be a pretty generic question about tablet memory. In this case it is a Lenovo Android A2xxx. It shows three types of memory in settings. One is internal, one is USB (which I understand is a partitioned extension of the internal memory. The third is external memory, in this case a 64 gb Micro SD card.

My question is, can apps ever be downloaded to the external memory? I have seen the option to move some apps to the USB memory, but only for some of them. Others have that option greyed out. I have never seen any options to download or move apps to the external memory where there is tons of room.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Have you formatted and 'mounted' the SD card?

It is an option.to save stuff, just not apps?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I can't even imagine having enough apps to fill the onboard memory.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I can't even imagine having enough apps to fill the onboard memory.

Looking in 'system settings' this unit appears set for the USB storage to be the default write disk. USB storarage shows 4.98 GB with 4.91 GB availabe. Yet when my wife tried to download an App, a message popped up that said there was not enough memory.

The Tablet's 'internal storage' shows Total space as 2.29 GB with only 193 MB available. The graph shows the internal storage almost full but that should not matter as the app should have gone to the USB Storage as it is declared the default write disc.. As the 64 GB SD card is new, there is nothing on it.

As far as I know, when you download an app, it does not ask you where you want to put it. It really should be a moot point because it/they are supposed to default download to the USB storage.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
That is amazingly small.

Undoubtedly BB. These were inexpensive tablets., purchased to see if we really wanted to do TABLET. Along the way I will learn enough to be able to make a better choice from more expensive tablets. You guys are slowly edukating me. :p

In the mean time I need to find out things like when USB storage is declared the default download memory, why new apps don't go there automatically.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
USB storage is never for apps. Only for movies and songs.

If I understand correctly, the USB storage that is shown in 'storage' under within Settings, is nothing more than a partitioned section of the 'Internal Storage'.
As you go thru the properties of each app, in settings, some give you the option to move them to the USB storage. Many do not. It has become apparent that the External Storage, ie, SD card is only for movies and songs????

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Go to your system settings then to storage and do a screen capture and post the picture of what it shows.

What is your system version?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Go to your system settings then to storage and do a screen capture and post the picture of what it shows.

What is your system version?

How do I do that? Can I turn it in to a picture and upload it to PhotoBucket from the tablet? I think the OS is 4.1? -JellyBean.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
either volume down and home button or volume down and power button. That depends on your device. You should see the picture in your photo section on the tablet.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Buy a new tablet with more storage! :)

I am looking online and I am seeing you aren't the first with this issue. Apparently you can store apps on USB but not all apps will work that way.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
........ Apparently you can store apps on USB but not all apps will work that way.......

That's my understanding. When you go to APPS in System Setting, it allows you to move some but not all. Shortly before I posted the screenshot I moved about 100 mb's of apps to the USB. I haven't gone thru all of them yet but in the end, the internal storage is still going to look pretty full. One nice thing about this lenovo is that it has good battery life.

Mrs B also has a more expensive Nexus 7 but that thing is a real dog. Takes forever to boot and sometimes just hangs when trying to open the Kindle app and others. I also do not think it has good battery life.

You have any suggestions for a decent unit under $300? I've googled the subject but the choices are dizzying.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Mrs B also has a more expensive Nexus 7 but that thing is a real dog. Takes forever to boot and sometimes just hangs when trying to open the Kindle app and others. I also do not think it has good battery life.
I have a 1st gen Nexus 7 and once I loaded Lollipop it became a dog too. I heard gen2 is much better. I just bought a Samsung Tab S2 8.0 to replace it. I am very pleased with it.

I paid $349 for it shipped. The place I bought it from just upped its price to $399.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I have a 1st gen Nexus 7 and once I loaded Lollipop it became a dog too. I heard gen2 is much better. I just bought a Samsung Tab S2 8.0 to replace it. I am very pleased with it.

I paid $349 for it shipped. The place I bought it from just upped its price to $399.

Thanks!

btw, Mrs B's Lenovo A2100 uses Ice Cream Sandwich. My year or so newer Lenovo A1000 uses Jelly Bean.