Gotta keep this forum awake and lively! :P

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I'll read the info, GA but in the meantime give me an overview of what to do. I assume I mount the new drive as a slave? Then download the program to the current HD, then run the program, directing the data to the new 80 gig slave? Then physically swap the drives making the new Maxtor the primary? Then if everything works, should I leave Windows on the slave drive or delete it? I guess it should retain all of the drivers, etc?

You got it. The Wizard is downloaded and installed like any other Windows program and is run under Windows

Depending on your motherboard, you will have to do either #1 or #2

1) If your PC supports more than 2 drives where the motherboard has 2 disk connectors, you don't have to use the second one as a slave. Use a 2nd cable to plug into the new drive. In this case the new drive will also be a master.

2) If the motherboard only has one disk connector, the the cable has a master and a slave connector to connect the 2 drives. The added drive would be set to slave.

After the cloning is finished, if you used #1, simply swap the cables. If #2 was used, change the slave drive, the new drive, to master and the master drive, the old drive, to slave.

The clone or copy process will make an exact copy on the new drive. You won't have to do anything more and all drivers, programs, Windows and files will be on the new drive.

After you change cables or master/slave settings and reboot, you can format the old drive when you are satisfied that everything works.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Boomyal, a long time ago I gave you a link to my Acronis on dropbox. You still have it? That's what you can use to clone your drive. You can use the clone on a new HD as long as it is being used on the exact same computer.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Boomyal, a long time ago I gave you a link to my Acronis on dropbox. You still have it? That's what you can use to clone your drive. You can use the clone on a new HD as long as it is being used on the exact same computer.

Bruce, I cannot recall that. The first time that I interacted with DropBox was the MS Office 2010 affair in Jan 2015. I did not even know what it was until you told me. I still have the Office link and I know that there has been nothing since.

thumpar

Admiral
The drive manufacturer programs do make an exact copy and the additional space is in the unallocated or free area. Same as Ghost.
I have just run into situations where the programs from the manufacturer didn't work in the past so Ghost is my go to. My contractors pay for it so if I had to pay for it that may change my mind.

dolluper

Captain
Just remember to change the drive pins ....master and slave ...then you gained 40 gigs of storage space with both connected .... you may have to use the second in an external enclosure usually be connected by USB

thumpar

Admiral
Just remember to change the drive pins ....master and slave ...then you gained 40 gigs of storage space with both connected .... you may have to use the second in an external enclosure usually be connected by USB
Unless it is from the 90's or before it will not need any jumpers changed and most likely is SATA so there are none.